• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Zen Ray ZEN ED 3 (1 Viewer)

from what I can tell reading online reviews, the focus "slop" is variable (e.g. a quality control issue?). My ED3's have essentially no slop in the focus wheel.... not quite the same feeling of perfectly machined precision as the Vortex Vipers I tried, but there is no "wiggly" looseness like the ED2's I tried.

My pair is more "wiggly" I would guess, looks like my ed3's are sub-par.
I still love the view but the focus thingy still bothers me.

Charles will have to chime in to clarify but if I remember what he told me correctly there was some play in the first batch of ED3s produced. They identified the "play" issue and added some component to later batches. Case in point, the 7x43 prototype that I have on hand does not display any play whatsoever and star-tests very well. The 8x43 early production unit I had did have about an 1/8th of an inch of play in it.

Thanks Frank!

So what should I do now? Return my pair? Live with what I have?
I like them, but not that much, I guess i'm in for the long haul.

Great view with these bins, but not my favorite pair for a quick look by a pretty good margin.

Cheers,
Ray

I was cleaning the oculars on my 8x43 ED3 today when I noticed that the right ocular moved as I worked the cloth over the glass. The glass and the metal surrounding the glass wobbled slightly but quite obviously. I've never seen this on any bin I've ever owned and I'm betting it can't be good. I emailed Zen-Ray describing the problem. Just wondering if any one else has seen this issue with the 8x43 ED3??
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back