• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thetford area RFI (1 Viewer)

Isurus

Erm because I'm an idiot who's spent too long away from east anglia I just posted a RFI for info on thetford (and particularly their otters) in the Cambridgeshire section:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=275979

Hope you'll forgive the double post and the geographic ignorance but I didn't want it to slide by the norfolk posse by virtue of being hidden in the wrong sub-forum!

Here's the message in full:

Hi All,
My missus and I have a weekend in Cambridge planned late feb. Target species are otter, chinese water deer and anything else we can get. My plan at present is:
1. Hit Lakenheath early morning for whatever we can get,
2. Hit Thetford town, have breakfast and try to connect with the otters,
3. Amble around the area for whatever else we think may yield something interesting - Lynnford Arboretum? Thetford Forest?
4. Drop into Ely Cathedral for some cultcha; and
5 End the daylight hours over at Woodwalton Fen for CWD, roosting harriers and so on.

If anyone has any up to date info on the Thetford Otters that'd be great - I know they are still showing but their whereabouts seem less well advertised these days (there are dark hints of persecution on the FB page).
I'd also welcome gen on the deer and any suggestions for other must-do's in the region naturewise.....
Thanks all!

At least one Otter is being seen in Thetford but from what I know that sightings are irregular and at various locations around the town. Certainly not as reliable as last year.

A visit to Joist Fen at Lakenheath late afternoon is highly recommended for Marsh Harriers, Hen Harriers, Crane, Barn Owl etc. Also Merlin and Peregrine sometimes. No Chinese Water Deer regular here though.

There are Parrot Crossbills at Spinks Lodge near Mayday Farm (between Elveden and Brandon) but they come and go and some time (and luck) is needed.

I think the Two-barred Crossbill seen at Lynford recently is the controversial bird that some believe is a wing-barred Common Crossbill. Hawfinches bit erratic in appearance.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dawn, looks like I'm reversing the plan and trying for deer first thing and finishing at Lakenheath then!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back