• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Mystery Birds (1 Viewer)

Great Dusky Swift from S. AM. or maybe, no not a Heath Hen, how about three stuffed Passenger Pigeons? Someone should check whether Martha is still in her drawer! Or a Rock Sparrow no that is another thread.

1. Northern Pintail, 2. Pileated Woodpecker and 3. a gigantic White-breasted Nuthatch. ;)

Edit: On second thought, perhaps #3 is a common Blue Jay!

Yes, do take it seriously, and if you have thoughts about what the birds really are, please consider submitting them to the addresses listed on the linked page.
I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks!

Yes, do take it seriously, and if you have thoughts about what the birds really are, please consider submitting them to the addresses listed on the linked page.
I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks!

Hi Rick,

I presume from the manner in which this photo was put forth by Ted Floyd along with the location of the picture, that an alternate question might be "are these possibly Ivory-billed Woodpeckers?" I admit that I do find them somewhat intriguing, but I cannot imagine a scenario where they will rise to any acceptable level of evidence for the continued existence of IBWOs. I trust that the tongue-in-cheek responses reflect some notion that there some folks out there who believe that the image depicts three IBWOs.

Chris

Who knows? My wild guess would be some sort of Duck in flight. I couldn't really go beyond that unless I somehow had better resolution of the image.

Unless it's almost total guess work, or someone, somehow knows the photographer and what he's shot, then I don't reckon anyone will get it right! The responses so far show that no one can even decide on a bird family, let alone a species! As for the "one in the tree", which some think is just part of the tree!

Good luck, but I think thats almost what it'll be to the winner (maybe an educated guess, but still a guess)

Last edited:
I actually have seriously sent in my 298 words and the words passenger and pigeon are in my entry! Really. I hope others do so too. My tongue in cheek response here was in response to the Labrador Duck crack in the original post. Could someone who has suggested a woodpecker expand on their answer, you know, show your work like at school. I am a lawyer I will protect you from those bad news borstal boys from the 51st state.

I also thought the original post was meant as a "spoof". Therefore, the tenor of my above post was less than serious.

I do take the search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker seriously.

I did participate in Cornell University's official search for two weeks in April of 2006 on the Bayou De View and on the Cache River near Brinkley, Arkansas.

During my two week's "tour of duty" I did not see or hear any IBWO.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back