• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush ID, NJ, USA (1 Viewer)

NJ Birders

Hello all,

Wondering if it's possible to ID this one from the photos. These were taken 4/12/14 in NJ, USA. Bicknell's? Gray-cheeked? I read in the Stokes guide that for a Bicknell's - the yellow part of the lower mandible tends to be 1/2 or more the length of the bill and yellow to yellow-orange. The yellow portion on the Gray-cheeked tends to be 1/2 or less the length of the bill and a duller yellow. How reliable is that as a field marker? Of course, I did not hear the bird vocalize. Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• APR_9930_BF_DxO_2.jpg
    APR_9930_BF_DxO_2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 96
  • APR_3679_BF_DxO_2.jpg
    APR_3679_BF_DxO_2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 89
I hadn't heard about the extent of yellow to black being a definitive field mark for the species pair. I wouldn't like to say which it was, from the photos, but the head does appear to be on the 'warmer' end of the spectrum. I think it's best to leave it as "Gricknell's" ( Grey-cheeked/Bicknells ).

A Hermit Thrush. It has a complete whitish eyering, and another strong clue is the date- April 12. Even two weeks later than that date would be very early for a Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's.

I agree, that looks good for a Hermit Thrush. Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's would barely show an eyering at all, and it shouldn't wrapping fully around the eye. And while Bicknell's can show some reddish in the wings and tail, I've never seen it as noticeable as this bird.

As for telling the two apart, you pretty much have to have them in the hand. While there are some average differences, the population of Gray-cheeked Thrush that breed in eastern Canada overlap in every plumage detail with Bicknell's, and even overlap in many measurements, if I remember correctly. Voice is considered the only definitive way to tell them apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back