• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

THRUSH - NOVA SCOTIA CANADA OCT. 19 2022 (1 Viewer)

wonderview

Definitely not and expert on thrushes. Maybe the experts here can confirm this better than I can. Had this bird in a tree in our yard this morning. I think it was interested in Virginia creeper berries that is climbing this particular tree. Whenever I see one I assume it's a Hermit Thrush, but the different kinds are so similar I can't tell. A couple Blue jays nearby had it bothered, and it was letting out a series of single "chip" calls. It was more concerned with them than with me. Got a few shots before it took off.

Attachments

• FSCN6288.JPG
    FSCN6288.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN6264.JPG
    DSCN6264.JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN6273.JPG
    DSCN6273.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 57
Seems rather buffy around the face (especially in photo 6288), so I'd lean toward Swainson's. Hard to be certain from photos, but what we can see makes me pretty confident. Compared to Hermit, lacks strong pale eye-ring. (Hermit also has a contrast between reddish tail and plainer back, but that doesn't help us at these angles.) Compared to Veery, breast spots darker and more extensive, back color darker/greyer (veery is light brown with slight reddish overtones). Compared to grey-cheeked and Bicknells, has stronger breast spots and browner (less grey) overall color -- and of course that buffiness around the cheeks.

I would tend towards Hermit over Swainson's. Hermit is much more likely for the date, though both are possible. Nartreb mentions darker spots on chest than most other Catharus. I would say they're more than most Swainson's show, too. Another big mark for Hermit is the faint suggestion of a wing-bar in image 3. Hermit often shows this, while the others rarely do.

The pale covert tips are simply first-winter plumage and I can't see the brightly contrasting rufous tail of a Hermit Thrush on any of the photos. BTW we have a whole bunch of Swainson's recently arrived from North America in the British Isles at the moment, so one in Nova Scotia is anything but late.

John

Thanks guys. It's been hanging around the yard the last few days, if I get another crack at it, hopefully lower in the tree I'll try to get the top of its tail in the shot. That seems to be a defining feature if it's a Hermit.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back