• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for action cameras for digiscoping use. (2 Viewers)

Luca1970

Italy
Hello everyone, I apologize in advance for the bad English unfortunately it is a language that I know little, but google helps !!

In these I came up with an insane idea: that of trying an action cam for digiscoping because of its qualities: small, light, sturdy 4k video…; but is it possible to use it without too many problems?

I state that I would use it with my small Kowa 613 spotting scope when I am not carrying the heavier TSN 3 combination with Z9B eyepiece and the Pana GX9 and objectives; I tried with the phone but I find it uncomfortable and more suitable for different uses rather than photographing. The action cam I have in mind is the DJI Action 2 which is currently at excellent prices.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

The camera you are looking at is very wide angle, so the digiscope view will be a small circle rather than edge to edge. If you are ok with that loss of resolution then it is might be usable.

A phone camera has become so good at simulating the human eye that it is as good as it gets for digiscoping imo (for image quality). Form factor as you say is more awkward.

Thanks for the quick response, yes the camera is very wide angle, but it has a 4x zoom that allows you to minimize the cutting of black corners; I had the opportunity to try it for some shots, but I didn't have a telescope with me to try and it seems to me that the electronic zomm makes it lose very little quality, probably via software it mounts more images to minimize data loss?

Also, my phone has four lenses and it's hard to tell which one it's using at the time of the shot. I must say that this situation is particularly annoying in digiscoping,

Personally I don’t bother with action cam for digiscoping even though I have them.

Digital zoom is usually disappointing for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back