• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tit ID - Ukraine (1 Viewer)

Hi! Help please with identification of Tit.
Ivano-Frankivsk region, 21.01.2024 (photo by Halia Stelmakh)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705876456971.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705876456971.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 158
  • FB_IMG_1705876463685.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705876463685.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 158
It looks like a Willow Tit indeed (they can, apparently, have such a face pattern as above). Also, only Willow Tit is said to show buffy flanks (assuming the colours are true to life). I think it would be best to try to get a sound recording (both species shouldn't be very mobile).

Attachments

• Broughton2009BritishBirds_MT_WT_id.pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi! Help please with identification of Tit.
Ivano-Frankivsk region, 21.01.2024 (photo by Halia Stelmakh)

I reckon the bird is a Marsh Tit.

It was posted on this site a while back that the most foolproof guide (although not entirely foolproof) is the whitish mark at the base of the upper mandible which I think is evident in the picture.

There are other differentiating features such as cap and bib, which again I think reflects a Marsh Tit in your picture, and another feature which seems to hold true to me is that Marsh Tits look like very smart birds, like the one in your picture. I went through a spell of taking quite a few pictures of both, mainly Marsh Tits, and when I did finally take a few decent pictures of Willow Tits and compared the pictures, I thought the Marsh Tit was a much smarter looking bird (like the one in your picture).

I don't believe in objectively judging this feature in variant lighting conditions, and is a photo in the paper (fig. 2) in which a Willow Tit appears to show it. That is not to say it couldn't be a Marsh Tit, and might very well be. Bib size and cap gloss are not said to be reliable (along with the buffy flanks I mentioned above myself).

EDIT: ID help - Dachau, Germany - II

I don't believe in objectively judging this feature in variant lighting conditions, and is a photo in the paper (fig. 2) in which a Willow Tit appears to show it. That is not to say it couldn't be a Marsh Tit, and might very well be. Bib size and cap gloss are not said to be reliable (along with the buffy flanks I mentioned above myself).

EDIT: ID help - Dachau, Germany - II

The only other point I'd make is that I remember having dozens of pictures and analysing them, and to my untutored eye I thought I could see differences in these birds, e.g. cap, bib etc. In retrospect, it was simply the angle of how the birds were perched and they were all Marsh Tits.

When I did get my camera on a Willow Tit, it stood out as a different bird to those I'd previously analysed even when looking through the lens at say 15 metres. Shape, smartness seemed to mark this bird out as different. I appreciate that would not remotely pass as scientific evaluation of the differences between these two birds and relies more on intuition and superficial observance.

Either way, the OP will only get his/her definitive answer when one of the experts comments.

I think we need to bear in mind the variability of both species across their range, and the fact that they generally get progressively paler as you go east. I'm not sure where the subspecific boundaries lie, and as Jos says, if we're talking willow tit there could well be some mixing in winter of migrating birds. So in western Ukraine we're looking at possibly willow tit ssp. borealis or possibly uralensis - or marsh tit ssp. stagnatalis.

The neat bib illustrated here looks like a clear marsh tit feature, but coupled with the extensive white wing panel looks a good match for the photograph of willow tit ssp. borealis in the Europe's Birds field guide. Like @PaulCountyDurham I mostly have experience of willow tits in Co. Durham and Tyneside (plus some very different, very pale but no less confusing birds in Hokkaido), of the British ssp. kleinschmidti, and they typically have quite large, diffuse bibs that are certainly not as neat as a marsh tit.

The pale base to the upper mandible is of course a confounding feature which I agree points strongly towards marsh tit - as Paul says, we await an expert opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back