• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To see an owl (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
One of the birds I've been most wanting to see is a wild owl (of any species). Owls are something I have always wanted to see and I have tried cassiobury park for the longstaying little owls a couple of times with no success.
My question is are there any tips on seeing owls? Any tips would be gratefully received

One of the birds I've been most wanting to see is a wild owl (of any species). Owls are something I have always wanted to see and I have tried cassiobury park for the longstaying little owls a couple of times with no success.
My question is are there any tips on seeing owls? Any tips would be gratefully received
What time of day are you going there? Although little owls are active in daylight, around dusk (5:30+) they should be more active and calling. The call is loud and insistent and should help you locate them.

Tawny owls are commonly heard earlier in the year (Feb is a good time). To connect with those, go out after dark to likely areas and listen out.

I find daybreak best for Barn Owls, although evenings can be okay. If you've got a county bird group they may record sightings to narrow down search area.

The best option would be this : get in touch with a local bird protection association, and ask them where to observe owls... they will know for sure !!
Then it is very easy to observe them, knowing the steeples, barns, etc. ;) 🦉
And very often, moreover, this type of association organizes outings to observe owls.
(Here I refer more to barn owls -Tyto alba)

I've never properly found an owl. All three (Long-eared, Tawny and Barn) found me when and where I didn't expect them (although it was my ignorance of suitable habitat rather than any unusual occurences). So perhaps just being out and about in the evening would be a sort of strategy. It would also probably give you more satisfaction than getting one that's pointed to you.

Last edited:
If you can join groups on WhatsApp Facebook etc they are often very good for local info. It always surprises me how much certain birds favour a particular tree and usually a particular spot in it. If you are getting info on spots to look don't be afraid to ask for specific directions i.e which tree/ bush etc as it can be a real pain picking birds up otherwise. I have spent MANY hours looking locally for owls in suitable roosting spots but only once have I had an owl (a Tawny) sat up.i have flushed Long Eared, Short Eared and Tawny inadvertantly when not realising where they were. Also listen out for birds making persistent alarm calls in the same spot (jays in particular do this a lot for some reason). Smaller birds will alarm call but usually in my experience move away rather than mob. My most unexpected owl experience concerned a Little Owl that had decided to sit out in full view on the middle of my house roof about half a mile from any proper trees! The only local Little Owls I have had have been in the pitch black calling from the bottom of my garden.

If people are reluctant to give details of sites it isn't personal as birds are often distributed by birdwatchers/ photographers.

If you can join groups on WhatsApp Facebook etc they are often very good for local info. It always surprises me how much certain birds favour a particular tree and usually a particular spot in it. If you are getting info on spots to look don't be afraid to ask for specific directions i.e which tree/ bush etc as it can be a real pain picking birds up otherwise. I have spent MANY hours looking locally for owls in suitable roosting spots but only once have I had an owl (a Tawny) sat up.i have flushed Long Eared, Short Eared and Tawny inadvertantly when not realising where they were. Also listen out for birds making persistent alarm calls in the same spot (jays in particular do this a lot for some reason). Smaller birds will alarm call but usually in my experience move away rather than mob. My most unexpected owl experience concerned a Little Owl that had decided to sit out in full view on the middle of my house roof about half a mile from any proper trees! The only local Little Owls I have had have been in the pitch black calling from the bottom of my garden.

If people are reluctant to give details of sites it isn't personal as birds are often distributed by birdwatchers/ photographers.
They are also crossbowed or shot by imbeciles, of which the world never runs short. Of course the OP is basically requesting distribution... or did you mean disturbed?

John

First advice: contact local birders and ask them to show / tell you. But don't count on it - I had places which birds abandoned long ago, but local birders firmly believed this is still a spot. Other times, birders were super-secret out of proportion of a real need of secrecy.

Second advice: walk or bike in the evening, and when you hear an owl, return to this place before evening for the second time.

And below is a fragment from my attempt to write a bird guidebook years ago (mostly to memorize and sort out my own experiences) :

WATCHING OWLS

Most birdwatchers see owls on daytime roost or nest site known locally. However, owls can be fruitfully found and observed independently. There is no need to disturb the same known birds, and casual encounters at night can be identified.

DAYTIME OBSERVATIONS

Most owls roost during day, camouflaged, in tree hollow, rock crack, dense tree foliage, or pressed against tree trunk. The perch is usually hidden from above. Be very careful not to disturb them. Especially nests are easily abandoned or predated by corvids when parent owls are scared. Keep distance, be quiet and move calmly. A roosting owl may stay immobile, but sees well at daytime.

Roosts are sometimes discovered by alarm of songbirds or corvids – check such unexpected noise. One can also narrow down a place where owls are heard at night. Old, possibly hollow tree or a patch of dense conifers are good candidates to scan patiently from distance to locate a camouflaged owl. Search for guano and pellets – balls of fur and bones spat out by owls (and many other birds). Owl species can be identified from pellet. Zoologists studying small mammal fauna often check bones in pellets.

NIGHT WALKS

Best chance of success is, however, finding owls at sunset by calls. Be aware of variation of calls of each species. Remember also that owl at night is usually afraid of man. Easiest to watch are grown chicks after leaving the nest in late spring or summer. They are not shy and often call continuously from before the sunset. However, keep observations short as adults will stop feeding chicks in human presence. When using a lamp, shine to the side and bring it slowly to the perching owl. This makes it less likely to flush. Avoid shining at your fingers or any part of human body. Keep noise to minimum, especially don't talk and stay away from shuffling on dry leaves or bushes.​

CASUAL OBSERVATIONS

During casual observation of an owl in darkness, note at least size, shape of head and wings and mode of flight. Try seeing at least eye color, barring, and basic wing pattern. Note that owl in bright light can look surprisingly pale with distorted contrasts.

Day birds flushed at night have slow, cautious flight and can be mistaken for an owl, eg. Buzzard for a large species or Lapwing for a small owl. Coots, rails, woodcock, many other waders, ducks, herons and nightjars are frequently active at night. They and their calls, as well as sounds of martens, foxes and deer can be mistaken for an owl.

WARNING:

Some owls, especially Hawk and Ural Owls, dangerously attack man near nest or grown chicks. They can fly noiselessly and hit the head or face with talons. Keep eyes fixed on parents and don't prolong observations. Also, usual caution against getting lost or tripping over at night is helpful.​

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back