• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (3 Viewers)

Well at my feeder I had all sorts of birds. I had four species of Woodpecker:Downy, Hairy, Pileated and Northern Flicker. Also had Starlings Brewer's Blackbirds, Brown headed Blackbirds, Juncos, Chestnut sided Chickadees, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch, House Finch, American Robin, Bewick's Wren, Anna's Hummingbird, Bushtits, House Sparrow, Song Sparrow, White crowned Sparrow, Golden crowned Sparrow and North Western Crow.

I had about 40-50 common redpolls showed up today. I usually get goldfinches in those numbers and have only had 1 or 2 redpolls at a time. Also, house finches, bluejays, w-b nuthatch, hairy and downy woodpecker, chickadees, juncos, cardinals, and mourning doves.

Scott

There are lots of commons around right now. Check your flock for a Hoary.
The sharpie is visiting regularly but doesn't seem to be getting any meals, at least I haven't seen him take anything nor have I found any piles of feathers around as I have in other years.

I have a small garden , but it is in a 1800 acre country estate , and today I had at my feeders .....Many Blue Tits , Great Tits , Long Tailed Tits , Coal Tits , and 3 Marsh Tits , Greenfinches , Chaffinches , Dunnock , Collared Dove , Wood Pigeon , Robin , Blackbird and two male Siskins .

Ashley

My feeders are unusually quiet today. The mild weather over the last two days seems to have caused the birds to move on. It's back to cold today with some fresh snow so I expect things will soon pick up again.

Hello Everybody,

I've been out of touch with BirdForum for a couple of years and have just opened it up again. It's great to see all the same old names contributing. I don't have a bird table as such, just put out a bit of seed for the parrots once a week, but so far this morning I've seen a couple of Superb Blue Wrens, some Brown Thornbills, Red-browed Finch and a couple of Spinebills and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. Feeding birds regurlarly is not encouraged in this country as there is plenty of natural food available and we don't have harsh winters like you do in UK, USA and Canada. There is an Eastern Yellow Robin clinging to the side of a tree stump right outside my window just now, I think that is my favoutite bird, he is so cute.

Last edited:
The 2 males Siskins have invited their girlfriends/wives to dine with them , making a regular 4 visiting now ...

Ashley

We have had snow flurries most of the day and have had twelve species visiting our backyard feeders here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. The temperature has been about 10 degrees F. all day.

Carolina Wren
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
Red-bellied Woodpecker
House Finch
Blue Jay
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pine Siskin
White-throated Sparrow
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Cardinal

welcom back "Val" - I'm not too regular but I did enjoy your different bird descriptions. Do you ever photo them? Love to see them
Here in southern Ohio it is a snowy, icy, rainy yukky day. All the birds are fed and busy.
Treated to a flock of turkeys(12-hens) wandering down my driveway - wish I'd had the deer corn out - too wet!!

Yes, welcome back Val. I would love to see some of your Australian birds. they all sound so colourful.
My feeders are back up to being fully used. I have in excess of 100 C. Redpolls again plus a lot of juncos, they make for a very busy scene.

It's woodpeckers galore over here! i look out the window one second, a male northern flickers eating from the feeder, look away, and back again, a male red bellied! ive also gotten a flock of grackles since the snow storm.

It's woodpeckers galore over here! i look out the window one second, a male northern flickers eating from the feeder, look away, and back again, a male red bellied! ive also gotten a flock of grackles since the snow storm.

Speaking of woodpeckers, I just had four hairy woodpeckers and 2 downy woodpeckers all in the yard at one time. There are a few chickadees, cardinals, goldfinches, and a nuthatch, but other than that, it's been a little slow.

Scott

Return of the turkeys!! Got a few photos - 34 hens in all passed thru!
A snowy shot of my view of the Ohio river.

Attachments

• P1010469.JPG
    P1010469.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010473.JPG
    P1010473.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010476.JPG
    P1010476.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 53
  • P1010463.JPG
    P1010463.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 53
Well I have
Brewer's Blackbird
Red winged Blackbird
White throated Sparrow
House Sparrow
Bewick's Wren
Yellow rumped Warbler
Anna's Hummingbird
Chestnut backed Chickadee
North Western Crow
Darkeyed Junco
Bald eagle(on pine tree!!)
Northern Flicker
Cedar waxwing!!
Spotted towhee

Return of the turkeys!! Got a few photos - 34 hens in all passed thru!
A snowy shot of my view of the Ohio river.

As a curious but not very well informed Australian, I'd like to ask if those turkeys are the original native turkey or have they become crossbred with the domesticated 'table' turkey. And ----Dare I ask------Is one allowed to shoot one for the Thanksgiving dinner table?

I hope I don't cause an uproar here!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back