• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (2 Viewers)

Nice shot, Tom!

We have a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers coming to our backyard feeders, but I have never seen them come at the same time. The usual one is the male, but sometimes the females comes in for some black oil sunflower seeds, a peanut or some of the suet.

i looked out my window and found these guys in a tree down the block. i got confused because i noticed they were grackles. i guess the warm weather the last few days let them come back b/c i usually dont have grackles in the winter at all, although i did have a lone grackle in december.

Attachments

• Picture 110 copy.jpg
    Picture 110 copy.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 043 copy.jpg
    Picture 043 copy.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 62
Easily 100 American Goldfinches at the feeders this morning. The goldfinches and redpolls seem to be building up to more more normal numbers for this time of year. There's a storm warning for tonight, I wonder how that will affect numbers and species.

i looked out my window and found these guys in a tree down the block. i got confused because i noticed they were grackles. i guess the warm weather the last few days let them come back b/c i usually dont have grackles in the winter at all, although i did have a lone grackle in december.

hi amkid247

Lots of birds there!!! Good in you.

Easily 100 American Goldfinches at the feeders this morning. The goldfinches and redpolls seem to be building up to more more normal numbers for this time of year. There's a storm warning for tonight, I wonder how that will affect numbers and species.

Hi SnowyOwl

Now that is a lot of American goldfinches. Love to have Redpolls here anytime. I am so envious ;)

I hope that the weather is not to drastic for you tonight. Fingers crossed here.

We were getting a pair of Carolina Wrens and a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches coming to our backyard bird feeders. They were coming daily! I have seen neither species for over a week now and am afraid something may have happened to them!

We are still getting the Pine Siskins though, along with the regulars, goldfinches, Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers, House Finches, Dark-eyed Juncos, House Sparrows, White-breasted Nuthatches, etc.

My goldfinches have also been numerous, although only 30-40 at a time, and redpoll numbers have also been growing (about 20 yesterday). I haven't seen a bluejay or a mourning dove in about a week. That doesn't really bother me, but it seems odd.

Today, a sharp-shinned hawk sat in the spruce tree beside the main feeder for about an hour. Interestingly, although the goldfinches sat patiently at the top of a nearby maple, the chickadees were flitting about within the spruce and on the feeder within 2 meters of the hawk. The hawk watched them occassionally, but did not go after them in the time I was watching. I thought he might have already caught lunch, but that did not seem to be the case.

Scott

Lots of activity but no Pine Siskins, haven't had any all winter. Most of the world population of Blue Jays seems to be concentrated at my feeders, also a lot of juncos. The Northern Flicker continues to be a daily visitor. One day I saw two so perhaps it's not one but two that I'm seeing. He comes for suet and water. Until today I wasn't sure whether he was eating anything else but this morning I watched him eating cracked corn.

Ground is white this a.m. just a dusting with sun coming thru - looks pretty - don't need any more snow - too much to do this week to get stuck on my hill. Birds are busy!
I too saw a lone grackle a few weeks ago and 6 turkey vultures have been hanging around all winter???? Hope they indicate a mild winter!! While walking corn out to the deer I first heard then saw the pileated wp working over a tree and singing while he worked! Nice bonus to the cold walk!

We have a lot of American Goldfinches and White-winged Doves every day. A family of House Finches visits regularly, as does a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers and small groups of Carolina Chickadees and Northern Cardinals.

Our regular visitors include quite a few individuals: Chipping Sparrow, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downy Woodpecker, Pine Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Carolina Wren, Blue Jay, Northern Mockingbird.

We're waiting for Grackles, Brown-headed Cowbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds -- and we're hoping for Pine Siskins and Purple Finches.

Jeff

Steve and I checked on a friend's bird feeder down at Bean Lake (about 20 miles south of Saint Joseph, Missouri) this morning. The birds we saw included Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Tufted Titmice, American Goldfinches, Purple Finches, House Finches, Pine Siskins, Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, American Tree Sparrows and House Sparrows.

This morning we had sixteen species of birds in our backyard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.
These are the species observed in the order they were seen: American Goldfinch, Pine Siskin, House Finch, Dark-eyed Junco, Red-bellied Woodpecker, American Crow, House Sparrow, European Starling, Blue Jay, Canada Goose, White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Mourning Dove, Northern Cardinal and Black-capped Chickadee.

Today I had sixteen species in the garden here in Oklahoma City: Dark-eyed Juncos, American Robins, Cedar Waxwing (just 1 - where were the others? idk), Northern Cardinals, Carolina Chickadees, Yellow-rumped Warbler, White-winged Doves, Mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared Doves, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, House Finches, Blue Jays, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren and House Sparrows.

This morning we had sixteen species of birds in our backyard here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.
These are the species observed in the order they were seen: American Goldfinch, Pine Siskin, House Finch, Dark-eyed Junco, Red-bellied Woodpecker, American Crow, House Sparrow, European Starling, Blue Jay, Canada Goose, White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Mourning Dove, Northern Cardinal and Black-capped Chickadee.
Canada Goose? That's one heck of a feeder bird! LOL!

Great lists, guys! I didn't count the number of species but the count of individuals is high.
Here's a list of yesterday's in no particular order.
A. Goldfinch -100
Common Redpoll - 30
Blue Jay - 40
DE Junco 40+
House Sparrow - 20
E. Starling - 4
A. Crow - 4
Common Raven - 2
Mourning Dove - 18
BC Chickadee - 6
Downey Woodpecker - 2
Hairy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Only 14 but more were possible if the Sharpie or Hungarian Partridge had made a visit or some of the other irregular visitors.
I think what is missing from my list is most interesting. I haven't had Pine Siskins this year not Purple Finches. I haven't had an A. Tree Sparrow this year. The Purples may arrive later, they tend to come in late winter but the Siskins should have been here in good size flocks by now. Evening Grosbeaks have become rare visitors whereas a few years ago they were one of the main species everyday.

Well, the Canada Goose was a fly-over ;), but I was just giving a list of birds seen/heard from our backyard yesterday.

I think that Evening Grosbeaks may be declining. I just hope that they are not in serious trouble.

It is still too dark this morning for any birds to be coming to our yard. We got about 3 or 4 inches of snow last night, so we well just have to wait and see what shows up this morning.

This morning, now that it is light, has produced a pretty good showing of birds.

Many American Goldfinches, House Finches, Dark-eyed Juncos, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, PINE SISKINS, CAROLINA WREN, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and Northern Cardinals. I am still waiting for the White-breasted Nuthatches to show up, they should be here shortly.

Yeah, I think this is the slowest that I have seen BF run!

I did get the Pine Siskins, Red-breasted Nuthatch and Carolina Wren coming in to the feeders this morning. Also putting in an appearance were the goldfinches, House Finches, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and juncos. Also the White-breasted Nuthatches are coming in.

The slowness problem has been fixed this morning. BF is really flying.
The main three winter finch species, A. Goldfinches, Common Redpolls and Pine Siskins are all here in force now. I'm sure that I will be going through lots of niger seed in the next while. The Purple Finches don't normally get here until the latter part of winter. A lot of people around here are reporting Pine Grosbeaks at their feeders but I haven't been lucky so far but I've got my fingers crossed.

I am hoping for some (or a) redpoll, but "no joy" yet! We have had a lone Purple Finch come to our feeders only twice this winter, on two separate occassions. I do not think an Evening Grosbeak is even a possibility! For a long while I thought this species was a mythical bird, but then I did finally see one up at Isabella, Minnesota, a couple of years ago.

This morning it is 0 degrees here in Saint Joseph, Missouri. So far only one bird has ventured in to our feeders, an American Goldfinch. I am sure there will be more birds as the morning progresses.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back