• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

There are just not too many birds in our backyard this morning. Although a couple more species have ventured in. There were are pair of White-breasted Nuthatches coming to the peanut feeder, a few more American Goldfinches, a few House Finches, some Dark-eyed Juncos (slate-colored), one DARK-EYED JUNCO (*the pink-sided race) and one White-throated Sparrow.

I forgot to mention that the temperature this morning was 0 degrees F., that's -18 degrees C. I did eventually get to 16 F. (-9 C.)

I was glad I could just watch the feeders from inside our home!

The feeders here are busy with all of the usual suspects. A Sharpie dropped by yesterday but didn't pick up a meal as far as I know. Light snow over night and a mild - 3 C. It's going down to -16 tonight though.

Very cold over night at -22C. The heater in the pan of water is having difficulty keeping a clear spot for the birds drinking water.
Yesterday was snowy. Lots of action at the feeders. Here's a look at the main group of feeders outside of my window.

Attachments

• IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 63
Feeders in Australia

Gee, I'm getting itchy feet reading all about those lovely birds. Makes me think it is time to go overseas birding again. I,ve never been birding in the States or Canada so would have great time. Don't think I would like the cold though, but guess if I want to see a bear I have to go in winter.
I've had a wearning to see a Roadrunner ever since my kids were little and watching the Disney Cartoons. Are they easy to find? And I love the sound of a "Grackle" but I gather it is a very common bird.

Personally I cant think of anything more awesome than seeing a crimson rosella at a feeder but then I am in Northern California...

Australia has the most amazing birds! I cant wait to come back and do some filming.

Cheers!

Winter hasn't really arrived in the Houston area yet, although we've had a couple of cold fronts and another one is due later this week.

My tube, platform and thistle feeders have been attracting 30+ American Goldfinch and 20-25 White-winged Doves. A couple of Chipping Sparrows, Northern Cardinals and a Red-breasted Nuthatch manage to squeeze in occasionally. Meanwhile the suet feeder gets Red-bellied Woodpeckers and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, and the peanut feeder gets a Pine Warbler.

Snippit from my feeders in the UK Midlands 30+ of these little beautys...Bramblings... around today! Also female Blackcap. The latter are rare in my fairly high up exposed garden in the winter.

All the best

Attachments

• Brambling Email 1.jpg
    Brambling Email 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Brambling 9 email.jpg
    Brambling 9 email.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
Not a very clear photo - copied out of Birder's World mag - titled Are you Still There? I love this photo - such a lucky shot!!
The c.wren ducked back under the log as soon as it spotted the hawk!

Attachments

• Are you still there.jpg
    Are you still there.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 71
Not a very clear photo - copied out of Birder's World mag - titled Are you Still There? I love this photo - such a lucky shot!!
The c.wren ducked back under the log as soon as it spotted the hawk!

I witnessed a similar situation to this when a sharpie came to call at our feeders. A hairy woodpecker positioned itself on the opposite side of a upright branch in a maple tree for close to an hour while the sharpie sat there oblivious.

Scott

Neat picture. I can usually tell if there's a sharpie near because the jays will fly but the downies and hairies will freeze along a branch.
There are two Northern Flickers at the feeders this morning. They are probably both around a lot but I usually only see them one at a time.

Attachments

• SSHA_08-01-19_2558.2.jpg
    SSHA_08-01-19_2558.2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 48
how do you tell he diff between cooper and sharpie? I know sharpies are smaller - how much? Had one hit my bay window once chasing a cowbird - both dead on patio - called forest ranger friend and he said it was a sharpie and rare around here - took it for taxidermy to educate the school kids. I see what I beleive to be a cooper flying low into the woods - he almost landed on my Siamese who'd been treed by dogs for 36hrs - the hawk made a quick u-turn when he discovered the large 20lb cat on his landing branch. I later had to climb a tall ladder to rescue the cat!! I know they'll eventually come down but....this is the 2nd tall rescue I've performed - he waits on me! I got an unwanted shower as poor kitty got wedged in tree and it had been 36hrs....

how do you tell he diff between cooper and sharpie? I know sharpies are smaller - how much? Had one hit my bay window once chasing a cowbird - both dead on patio - called forest ranger friend and he said it was a sharpie and rare around here - took it for taxidermy to educate the school kids. I see what I beleive to be a cooper flying low into the woods - he almost landed on my Siamese who'd been treed by dogs for 36hrs - the hawk made a quick u-turn when he discovered the large 20lb cat on his landing branch. I later had to climb a tall ladder to rescue the cat!! I know they'll eventually come down but....this is the 2nd tall rescue I've performed - he waits on me! I got an unwanted shower as poor kitty got wedged in tree and it had been 36hrs....
That's a tough question. Size is a good clue, coops are generally larger. The Tail on a coop is longer in proportion to the body and it usually has a square end whereas a sharpie has a rounded end. Coops usually have more white on their tail tip. The trouble is that none of these factors are 100% consistent and id. may have to be sort of an adding up of all these factors. I think that one of the best ways is to know what is most likely to occur in your area. Here, coops are quite rare so if I see a accipter at my feeders it is almost certainly a sharpie although I did have a Northern Goshawk visit earlier this winter. It was very big.

another snowy day - no accumulation expected - looks like winter tropics with all the red birds - counted at least 20 in one tree - flew before I could photo

Attachments

• red spots.JPG
    red spots.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 48
  • cardinal in snow.JPG
    cardinal in snow.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 47
  • the herd.JPG
    the herd.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 61
  • birds in snow.JPG
    birds in snow.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 47
  • riverboat.JPG
    riverboat.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
January 24, 2008, Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA.

Here is a list of the bird species coming to our backyard feeders
today. They are listed more or less in the order in which they appeared.

Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
House Finch
Red-bellied Woodpecker
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
White-breasted Nuthatch
European Starling
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Pine Siskin
Carolina Wren
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay

We recently moved to a smaller city and I am amazed at the huge variety of birds we're already seeing at the feeders. Just in the past few weeks I've seen a larger variety of birds than I ever saw at our old house. I see new birds daily! So what may seem average to some is always exciting to me.

New birds at our feeders today:

* Northern Flicker (have seen him around often, but on the suet feeder for the first time today. They seem to be SO SHY - I can be indoors tiptoeing slowly on the other side of the room to try and get my camera and they leave at first sign of movement).

* Pine Siskin - New today as well! Always fretted about not knowing for sure if I was seeing Siskins or female House Finches until I actually saw one today. Much smaller, more prominent stripes and the unmistakable yellow streaks.

* European Starling - First time I've seen them come through around here. They tried to get past the Starling-proof suet feeder and split. I feel badly for not feeding them too, but they come in such swarms that they scare everything else off.

Others hanging out:

Downy Woodpecker - have seen a male (more often) and a female
Anna's Hummingbird - saw the female only once, and the same male often. He has let me photograph him several times and I'm honored.
House Finch
Bewick's Wren
Black-Capped Chickadee
Chestnut-Backed Chickadee (see more of these than the former, and they have the cutest squeaking "dee-dee-dee")
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Dark-Eyed Junco
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
Varied Thrush (only saw 1 and was thrilled)
Red-Breasted Sapsucker (in the tree above the feeders)
Steller's Jay
And the usual Robins and Crows all over.

My dream is to one day seen an American Goldfinch at the feeder. But even though I know they're in the general area, we live amidst a ton of very tall evergreen trees and know not to get my hopes up. The people at the local bird store all say that they like wide open spaces, which is definitely not here unless you count the football field a few blocks away!

my northern flicker male who normally comes around brought a new girlfriend today! the male is on the feeder, and the female is the one looking at it.
swarms of starlings lately, ive been doing a lot of banging on the window to get them to leave. -__-

Attachments

• Picture 007 copy.jpg
    Picture 007 copy.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back