• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree or House Sparrow - Wesel, Germany (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

Took these pictures on Wednesday near Wesel, Germany. Because there was a large number of House Sparrows I assumed this to be one of those. After looking at the pictures I think this might be a Tree Sparrow. The cheek looks white with a black spot instead of grey. But this could be due to some artifacts when you zoom in. The bird also has some kind of dark spot on the back of the head.
What do you think? Tree or House Sparrow?

224F0628-7F84-42F1-B427-E3D318614AB7.jpegAD021170-FF70-4A3F-86E1-1866E8DB3618.jpeg4A46F604-7D7B-44DD-8C17-06E8C65974FC.jpeg893FECDE-7176-4039-A5F2-C5AAD31A2D0E.jpeg

Great. I remember seeing those a lot during my childhood.
Sadly Tree Sparrows have become quite rare over here. Even though I spend a lot of time in the more rural areas around Düsseldorf it‘s the first one I have seen since I started birding regularly last autumn.
But I also never went out to look for them, I always implied that at some point I would stumble upon one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back