• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tree swallows!!!!!! are taking over (1 Viewer)

keith richter

hi, i am having a little trouble here at my house. tree swallows are taking over is their a nest box for them!!!!!!!!!! they are eating my blue bird eggs in my bluebird boxes!!!!!!! please help!!!!
thanks,keith : :king:

Keith, since you're asking about nestboxes for so many different species, you might want to google "nestboxes for _________". There are loads of sites on the 'net that have nestbox construction information.

BTW, Tree Swallows don't eat robins' eggs. They're insect eaters and feed on the wing, but will also eat seeds and berries to survive. Sounds like your squirrel or other predator could be at fault.

Katy Penland said:
Keith, since you're asking about nestboxes for so many different species, you might want to google "nestboxes for _________". There are loads of sites on the 'net that have nestbox construction information.

BTW, Tree Swallows don't eat robins' eggs. They're insect eaters and feed on the wing, but will also eat seeds and berries to survive. Sounds like your squirrel or other predator could be at fault.

since the question of nestbox size/hole size/style comes up so often is it worth a sticky thread here where people post links to good design/hole size info online?

blue bird

katy, they are blue bird eggs. in my blue bird box. tree swallows come and hang on the hole of the box and break the eggs. ,keith,

keith richter said:
katy, they are blue bird eggs. in my blue bird box. tree swallows come and hang on the hole of the box and break the eggs. ,keith,
My apologies, Keith, I totally spaced on the species under discussion in this thread and had robins on the mind. Still, what you're seeing is nestbox competition, and the swallows were destroying, not eating, the bluebird eggs.

Here is an interesting discussion of how to solve the competition problem between these two species. It seems they can be compatible if the circumstances are right:

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/media.nabluebirdsociety.org/Sialia/berner3.htm

Isurus said:
since the question of nestbox size/hole size/style comes up so often is it worth a sticky thread here where people post links to good design/hole size info online?
Think that's a great idea, Isurus. I've since found a great site for North American birds:
http://www.birdnature.com/nestbox.html

And if you have one for Europe/UK, and if other members from other parts of the world have similar info, I'll add it to the sticky. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back