• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tricolored Blackbirds - WA State USA (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

Two weeks ago I was looking for Tricolored Blackbirds in a known place for them near Walla Walla WA. There's an area that attracts hundreds of blackbirds.

I felt pretty confident that the first picture shows a Tricolored second from the left. The other two pictures have possible candidates for Tricolored but of course could be Red-winged Blackbirds.

I'd like to hear from experienced folks here about how which details you would go off on identification when you don't have an obvious bright white medium coverts with scarlet red lesser coverts. Also, any tips on the females here?

Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• BB-1.jpg
    BB-1.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 74
  • BB-2.jpg
    BB-2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 38
  • BB-3.jpg
    BB-3.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 49
Touch call to make ......I know that unless I have some definitive proof, I won't label a bird that is not native to that area. I lived in WW for many years..... sure, perhaps one can get lost in the pack, that is a given...but I have seen many red winged looking just like your photo. jim

Thanks for the response Jim.

These Tricoloreds winter at this location each year and they have a regular breeding location at Sprague lake too.

That second bird in the first image is good for Tricoloured.

Not sure on the rest, the angle and detail makes it hard to determine whether its white or if its just yellow photographed oddly.

Thanks for the response Jim.

These Tricoloreds winter at this location each year and they have a regular breeding location at Sprague lake too.
You are right...not in large numbers but 'here and there'.... The trick though is making sure that you really get a good shot showing it. jim

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back