• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinidad - Shore Bird Identification (2 Viewers)

Dabs

Brian D
The bird in the attached photos was seen in a river foraging with Greater Yellowlegs and Lesser Yellowlegs nearby. Its size seemed to me to be comparative to a Greater Yellowlegs. The legs are distinctly yellow, but it definitely is not a Yellowlegs species, with that "heavy" bill an overall appearance. I have received feedback that it could be a Willet.

I would appreciate assistance with the bird's ID.

Thanks

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_8137.JPG
    IMG_8137.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8140.JPG
    IMG_8140.JPG
    900.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8173.JPG
    IMG_8173.JPG
    905.4 KB · Views: 127
It is definitely a dowitcher. I agree with JWN Andrewes that there appears to be one juvenile tertial retained on the left side. Also, Long-billed Dowitcher, from what I can ascertain, has never been reported in Trinidad. Short-billed Dowitcher is a safe bet.

It is definitely a dowitcher. I agree with JWN Andrewes that there appears to be one juvenile tertial retained on the left side. Also, Long-billed Dowitcher, from what I can ascertain, has never been reported in Trinidad. Short-billed Dowitcher is a safe bet.
I would be very surprised if there are no Long-billed D on T&T, given that they occur with intervals (but not every year) in Barbados. SbDo certainly are much more common!
Niels

Is it actually a 1cy bird though, or a moulting adult?
I thought the longitudinal markings in the tertial was a better fit for 1cy, with an adult tertial having more transverse markings, but I'm happy to be educated! It is perhaps rather early for a juvenile to be so advanced in moult.

I would be very surprised if there are no Long-billed D on T&T, given that they occur with intervals (but not every year) in Barbados. SbDo certainly are much more common!
Niels
I would be surprised as well. But, Short-billed Dowitcher does travel further south in the winter than Long-billed does. There are just a handful of LBDO sightings in South America, compared to hundreds of SBDO at hundreds of locations.

It could also be that people are just reporting what they expect to see without proper scrutiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back