• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Favourite Birds: 1 Mistle Thrush, Turdus viscivorus (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
There have always been several Song Thrushes nesting in our local neighbourhood. They are attractive birds with a kind of elegance that separates them from the more boisterous Blackbirds and the occasional Mistle Thrush. These latter always perch on the tips of the highest local trees, no matter what the weather and an early encounter with this species in north-east Scotland illustrates this perfectly.

In 1987 we booked a holiday cottage close the where the River Feshie merged with the River Spey, and enjoyed two weeks of exploring the beautiful Glen Feshie. We even struggled up to the summit of Carn Ban Mor and were rewarded with an encounter there with a Dotterel male and two chicks.

But it was while we were returning from a long stroll up Glen Feshie that the sky overhead suddenly turned black, and squalling winds and driving rain battered and doused us for about 10 minutes. Amid this battering and wetting, as we made our way down the glen, we faintly heard a bird singing. Its song consisted of a confident flurry of notes and then a pause, followed by another outburst. These were not the repetitions of a Song Thrush, but a series of emphatic statements sent on their way despite the storm.

Shielding our eyes against the driving rain we found the singer and there it was, a Mistle Thrush, perched on a tree-top fully living up to its alternative name of Stormcock, singing its heart out, while we stood captivated.

The rain faded and the Mistle Thrush sang a few more verses then shook itself and flew out of sight, but not out of memory. We will never forget its bold, confidence as it faced-down the weather that nature flung at it and refused to be deterred from flinging its voice back at the wind and rain.
A wonderful experience. A wonderful bird.

Lee

Nice one Lee. Lovely part of Scotland that too!!!

You're so lucky I never seem to hear them singing, but I've been hearing one "rattling" here this last couple of weeks as he devours the rowan berries.

An encounter with a storm-crazed Mistle Thrush can never be forgotten! Their posture and facing the storm is as if the bad weather is an afront to their diginity, so they go hell for leather to beat back the weather with nothing more than that stunning turn of song.

A truly remarkable bird to witness and a true top 10 bird for Scotland in my humble opinion.

Nice one Lee. Lovely part of Scotland that too!!!

You're so lucky I never seem to hear them singing, but I've been hearing one "rattling" here this last couple of weeks as he devours the rowan berries.
On the subject of thrushes in your part of the world delia…if I may ask a question- Circa 30 years ago (unfortunately, I can’t remember the location either).

I was given a site for Eagles in a glen NW of where we were staying (Aviemore) some one hours drive away during the August school holidays.

It was an overcast day and I’d come across various raptor species, however the highlight was the sight of c30-40 Ring Ouzels assembled on a hillside, presumed a post breeding ensemble, as they were relatively all close together in a kind of terraced fashion (bit like a school photograph).

The bulk of the birds appeared to be juveniles, as they were mostly all black and white scaled in a very contrasty pattern.
I subsequently attempted to find this plumage “type” on the web, but haven’t been able to as of yet, thus can only assume that “gatherings” of this kind are not often encountered? and that the plumage phase of the juvs. is very short lived?

Hoping yourself or others might be able to shed some light…..and Troubador, I couldn’t agree more, T.viscivorus is definitely a “hauntingly top of the tree bird” in my book.👍

Cheers

Common Juvenile phase. Adults do have scaling, you just need to get really close to see it as it is very very faint.
There was certainly no discernible white crescent on the juvs.and the white spotting appeared larger almost equal to the black surround?
I have quite vivid memories of the encounter, as Ring Ouzel is only a bird that I’ve seen singly and not very often.
Regarding the “assembly”, is that something that has been recorded in literature?

Cheers

There was certainly no discernible white crescent on the juvs.and the white spotting appeared larger almost equal to the black surround?
I have quite vivid memories of the encounter, as Ring Ouzel is only a bird that I’ve seen singly and not very often.
Regarding the “assembly”, is that something that has been recorded in literature?

Cheers
Crumbs, that's an old memory, but iirc it used to be blackbirds in assembly ... (Morning has broken ... ;-) )

Crumbs, that's an old memory, but iirc it used to be blackbirds in assembly ... (Morning has broken ... ;-) )
It’s interesting that two Turdus species not known for “flocking” can do so, albeit for short periods.
The other for me is Mistle Thrush, normally solitary excepting a family party on occasion, however on two occasions I’ve witnessed (at home and the North York moors) the sky full of Mistle Thrush (bit like Autumn confetti).

All heading in one direction and all at different levels circa into three figures with no regimentation in the volume, just scattered in the air. 😮

Cheers

as Ring Ouzel is only a bird that I’ve seen singly and not very often.

Cheers
however the highlight was the sight of c30-40 Ring Ouzels assembled on a hillside, presumed a post breeding ensemble, as they were relatively all close together in a kind of terraced fashion (bit like a school photograph).

Newly fledged Ring Ouzels in their first few months do not have the white chest bib / crescent. They are scaley all over. Your August sighting is the start of their gathering up for migration where they feed up first, then fly off in huge flocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back