• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Favourite Birds: 2 Great Northern Diver (Common Loon) Gavia immer (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Ever since our first sighting of a Great Northern Diver at Claggain Bay on Islay, in October 1981, we have been in awe of this magnificent species. Whether in breeding or winter plumage, for us it is an icon of the seas off the western coast of Scotland. It is a substantial bird but is nevertheless graceful, with a bold confidence, and if you are lucky enough to see these in breeding plumage you will have your breath taken away.

We see more of these in our October / November visits than those in April / May, typically floating a fair distance off - shore, usually singly, but in October we often see them in pairs and these look like one adult (in partial winter plumage), with one immature, suggesting they usually raise 2 young per year.

They are an impressive sight but they also have the most glorious voice too. Their evocative calls have featured on many movie and tv-show sound-tracks, to provide an atmosphere of remote wilderness, and being more a feature of the breeding season are, in our experience, rare in the UK as they are extremely rare breeders here. However, on one occasion on Stornoway Bay, on the west coast of the Mull of Kintyre in 2008, we heard 7 Great Northern Divers suddenly launch into a group yodelling-session, giving full strength to their other-worldly voices. It made the hair on the backs of our necks stand up and left us breathless. We would love to hear this again some day.

Lee

Ever since our first sighting of a Great Northern Diver at Claggain Bay on Islay, in October 1981, we have been in awe of this magnificent species. Whether in breeding or winter plumage, for us it is an icon of the seas off the western coast of Scotland. It is a substantial bird but is nevertheless graceful, with a bold confidence, and if you are lucky enough to see these in breeding plumage you will have your breath taken away.

We see more of these in our October / November visits than those in April / May, typically floating a fair distance off - shore, usually singly, but in October we often see them in pairs and these look like one adult (in partial winter plumage), with one immature, suggesting they usually raise 2 young per year.

They are an impressive sight but they also have the most glorious voice too. Their evocative calls have featured on many movie and tv-show sound-tracks, to provide an atmosphere of remote wilderness, and being more a feature of the breeding season are, in our experience, rare in the UK as they are extremely rare breeders here. However, on one occasion on Stornoway Bay, on the west coast of the Mull of Kintyre in 2008, we heard 7 Great Northern Divers suddenly launch into a group yodelling-session, giving full strength to their other-worldly voices. It made the hair on the backs of our necks stand up and left us breathless. We would love to hear this again some day.

Lee
Remember falling asleep to their calls on Lac le Jeune, BC. Amazing.

Rich

I had to Google it Lee but it just means lake. An absolutely stunning place. Ospreys, Bald Eagles and Beaver from the balcony. And Black Bears on the bird table from the bar.

Rich

last spring i had my first visit to the highlands and stayed at gruinard bay in the campervan went to sleep with cuckoos calling and woke up to great northern divers calling it was a special moment to sit on a beach at 5am coffee in hand it was a beautiful haunting moment

Attachments

• _I0A8389.jpg
    _I0A8389.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • _I0A8269.jpg
    _I0A8269.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Hello Lee,

As Bob Hope used to sing, "Thanks for the memories."

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hello Arthur,
You are welcome.
Bob Hope also sang "We're off on the road to Morroco".............
Remember those 'Road' movies he made with Bing Crosby?

Stay safe
Lee

Hello Arthur,
You are welcome.
Bob Hope also sang "We're off on the road to Morroco".............
Remember those 'Road' movies he made with Bing Crosby?

Stay safe
Lee
Hello,

Yes, I remember those movies, seen on the telly. I think Bing Crosby joined Hope, singing,
"We certainly do get around
Like Webster's Dictionary we're Morocco bound."

Are you planning a trip? My brother went on a tour on a tour of Morocco, which he found fascinating.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Yes, I remember those movies, seen on the telly. I think Bing Crosby joined Hope, singing,
"We certainly do get around
Like Webster's Dictionary we're Morocco bound."

Are you planning a trip? My brother went on a tour on a tour of Morocco, which he found fascinating.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Hello again,

We have no 'exotic' destination trips planned as we decided a few years ago that we love the seas off the west of Scotland so much we don't want to spend time any more in other locations.

I have been to Africa on a business trip and visited South Africa and Zimbabwe and flew up to Victoria Falls in a light aircraft which was fun.

The nearest I have been to Morocco was when we holidayed on Mallorca.

Stay safe
Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back