• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to identify (Buzzard) (2 Viewers)

janba

Germany
This one was hovering quit close to the ground (10m-15m ?) above some fields near some houses. While watching it I was quit sure that this must be a common Kestrel. By trying the "Merlin Bird ID"-app though just got suggestions for several Kites (red-kite, black-kite..) but the kestrel not even as opportunity. So now I am confused..

Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-34-55.png

This bird was circling above the fields near the country road. A second one appeared for some minutes before leaving the first one alone again.
Due to my simple Canon and the quit long distance the birds had, the quality of the photo is not really good. I tried the "Merlin Bird ID"-app which suggests three types of buzzards (Common Buzzard, European Honey-Buzzard, Long-Legged Buzzard)
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-27-42.png

Welcome to BF.
Could you give the location and date, please? Thanks.
1. Note the tail-shape. If you check your field guide you will see the difference very clearly and easily.

Last edited:
1. as already said clearly red kite with that deeply forked tail pale grey head and pale windows in the hand

2. as already said , second bird is a dark common bussard with that wing shape and coloration

@Butty
Date: 28.03.2022

PS: Here are the two photos with some GNU exposure.

PPS: I checked my photo's again and found that there really was a Kestrel (see third attached file)., I just did not recognize the red kite while taking the picture from far distance.

Thanks for your replies !

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-27-42.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-27-42.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-34-55.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto von 2022-03-28 16-34-55.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9390.JPG
    IMG_9390.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The third picture that you've only just added to the last post is a kestrel.
I suspect that you may have been getting your photos mixed up - and/or photographing birds that you didn't think you were photographing - or vice versa.
Ah. And I see that you've now (later still) added a note to your last post to that effect (!) 🤔

Last edited:
The third picture that you've only just added to the last post is a kestrel.
I suspect that you may have been getting your photos mixed up - and/or photographing birds that you didn't think you were photographing - or vice versa.
Ah. And I see that you've now (later still) added a note to your last post to that effect (!) 🤔
Butty: not everyone, and especially not a 'new member', is as adept at using the site as you are. Please give people some leeway!

Butty: not everyone, and especially not a 'new member', is as adept at using the site as you are. Please give people some leeway!
You are - of course - referring only to the last of the 3 lines you have quoted - the first two being 100% helpful, in both intent and execution.
My 3rd line was added, in explanation, only after my first two lines had been written and posted (for some minutes) and the OP had then added additional text which made my comments look out of place.
Please give ME some leeway.

@Butty @MacNara
Sorry for the confusion I caused. I'm neither a professional photographer, nor a ornithologist. I'm just interested in local nature and it's habitants and try to take some time out of daily routine for that. Again thank everyone for your help, if you have any other suggestions or hints, I'll still be glad :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back