• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trystan's 2022 World List (2 Viewers)

20th March

Predominantly a walking day out with my wife today, but at some favourable locations for trying to get some birding in.

Wykeham

---. (158.) Crossbill
---. (159.) Goshawk

Scarborough

171. (160.) Kittiwake
172. (161.) Razorbill

Bempton

Rather disappointing finish with no Puffins in evidence, no Corn buntings at Buckton and no Short-eared owl by the time I'd pushed my luck with how long we were staying out and had to set off home! Having somehow managed to miss Gannets on every other trip to the coast this year, there were at least plenty of these around.

173. (162.) Gannet

2nd April

Despite the occasional hoot or screech, local Tawnies have proved elusive so far this year despite a good few evening walks. It was nice to catch up with one this evening.

174. (163.) Tawny owl

3rd April

Back to Bempton after the return of the Albatross. Missed it twice in the morning and it then apparently landed in an unviewable spot on the cliff where it spent the next 5 or so hours frustrating visitors. Finally just after 2pm, it came off the cliffs and settled on the water, not too far out and had a good wash and preen. In the meantime, a couple of other year ticks which had eluded a couple of weeks earlier.

175. (164.) Puffin
176. (165.) Short eared owl
177. (166.) Black browed albatross

Had planned to do more with the day, but with time no longer on our side, we headed for home, detouring for attempts at corn bunting, spoonbill and garganey, with only the pretty much nailed on spoonbills coming through.

Fairburn ings

178. (167.) Spoonbill

10th April

Little progress today, elusive Garganey continued to be elusive and a number of other common migrants, present yesterday seemed absent today at Swillington. In the end, decided to nip up the road to Temple Newsam to grab a glaring omission from the list.

Swillington ings

179. (168.) Blackcap

Temple Newsam

---. (169.) Treecreeper

15th April

Bank holiday logistics meant having the car at work today with an early finish, nipped over to Swillington again, finally catching up with a pair of Garganey.

Swillington

180. (170.) Garganey
181. (171.) Willow warbler
182. (172.) Wheatear

16th April

No plans today other than a walk into town, but the Sand martins were back over the canal.

Huddersfield

183. (173.) Sand martin

Looks like spring has sprung for you. Big British total for April
Actually feel like I've had a bit of a slow start with the migrants but starting to get some traction after today and pleased with the overall totals. Just been catching up on reading your Spanish list, looks fantastic. Jealous of the Imperial eagle and PT sandgrouse, two birds I still need despite a good few trips to Spain.

Last edited:
17th April

A morning walk with my wife at Cutthroat bridge, just over the Derbyshire border this morning in very pleasant weather and lots of birding activity. No less than 7 ring ouzels along the walk.

---. (174.) Raven
184. (175.) Ring ouzel
185. (176.) Whinchat

23rd April

Marshside

With needing to drop my wife in Liverpool, and a Black-winged stilt up the road at Marshside, everything seemed to come together nicely for today.
Weather was disappointingly blustery, but otherwise a successful day out.

187. (178.) Swallow
188. (179.) Black winged stilt
189. (180.) Little ringed plover
190. (181.) Common sandpiper
191. (182.) Tundra bean goose - though very elusive in the morning, showed well in the afternoon, and surely my last winter bird of the season so a few to try and get back at the other end of the year.
192. (183.) House martin

24th April

Mixed fortunes today on a longer trip down to Cambridgeshire to try and get the long staying Blue-winged teal onto my UK list. Decided that heading to Paxton pits to try for Nightingale first would be a nice opportunity to explore a new reserve too, hopefully adding a few spring migrants in the process.

Paxton pits

193. (184.) Lesser whitethroat
194. (185.) Cuckoo
195. (186.) Whitethroat
196. (187.) Sedge warbler
197. (188.) Garden warbler
198. (189.) Nightingale

A great start but then over at Ouse fen/Berry Fen, no sign of the teal in any of the spots we had been told to look. Tried a few other pools before giving up and switching to plan B on the way home.

Berry fen

199. (190.) Common tern

Rutland water

200. (191.) Osprey
201. (192.) Little gull
202. (193.) Whimbrel
203. (194.) Greenshank

7th May

Struggled this weekend, despite getting out both days, things never quite fell into place.

Bolton Abbey

210. (201.) Redstart
211. (202.) Pied flycatcher

No sign of spotted flycatchers in the usual spot, not wood warbler where I saw them last year.

8th May

Sunk Island

212. (203.) Dotterel

Star bird of the weekend, still present early morning, but apparently had moved on shortly afterwards, so quite lucky there. Not so much for the rest of the day though, with Spurn failing to produce and Wheldrake, despite an unexpected Osprey, not producing what should have been reliable hobby!

Spurn

213. (204.) Little tern

13th May

Not so unlucky for Friday the 13th. A minor crisis at work kept me back yesterday evening meaning today I was able to leave early, getting home in time to pick up the car and head over to Elton reservoir to see the summer plumaged spotted sandpiper there.

Elton Reservoir

214. (205.) Spotted sandpiper

14th May

A morning run out to repeat Wheldrake from last weekend. Beginning to think it's not the Hobby magnet I was lead to believe but did at least get the pair of Glossy ibis and finally, a Corn bunting.

215. (206.) Glossy ibis
216. (207.) Corn bunting

15th May

Headed off to try another wood warbler site while waiting for new to decide if Spurn or Gibraltar point might have retained any of yesterdays birds. Instead found myself heading to Idle valley followed by a futile search for Rustic bunting near Grimsby.

Rivelin

217. (208.) Wood warbler

Idle valley

218. (209.) Black tern
219. (210.) Hobby
220. (211.) Turtle dove

Some good birds here today, with 4 Hobbies in the air to make up for the dearth of them yesterday. Great reed warbler was noisy but very deep in and was lured away by the report of Rustic bunting, however, despite much searching the area, no sign.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back