• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tundra Bean Goose vs Pink-footed Goose in Tver Region, European Russia (1 Viewer)

Pasha

Dear colleagues,

please help with ID of geese recorded on April, 23, south of Tver Region, European Russia

2 birds in the flock of GWFG: similar in size to GWFG, noticably short necked, relatively short-billed, grayish upper wings color

We suppose 2 species:
Pink-footed Goose (rare in the region)
Tundra Bean Goose (obviously not uncommon on migration)

Regards,
Pasha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-071718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-071718_Samsung Internet.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220430-071642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-071642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20220430-071347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-071347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220430-071206_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-071206_Samsung Internet.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 27
Additional shots with GWFG

Attachments

• IMG_9293.JPG
    IMG_9293.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9292.JPG
    IMG_9292.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9266.JPG
    IMG_9266.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9291.JPG
    IMG_9291.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9265.JPG
    IMG_9265.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 24
Hello Pasha,
what hard pictures, at least for me. Yes, its easy to say that, all features for PFG are there, including
  • pale outer wing with a contrasting dark band, nearly acting as a boarder
  • contrasting darkish head and neck (but it looks somehow strange to me. Reason? Dont know, maybe that the dark is reaching far down the neck?)
  • pale breast with a pinkish-buff wash
  • dirty-pinkish legs in one picture and pinkish-orange (its the colour I see on my screen)
BUT: after I got help from Lützen Portengen some time before (thanks again!), I looked at Bean Geese again more closely, and I found Bean Geesese with some of these features:
  • Bean Geese can show a cotrasting darker head and neck, similar to this birds here
  • Quite a few Bean Goose can show a warmer coloured/hued breast, similar to these birds
  • these features might well be enhanced by picture quality
Yes, I havent seen a Bean Goose with clear pink legs before (but please note my caveat above) and the pale and dark outer wing seems very good for PFG.

BUT again: the greater coverts of the left bird seems dark, nearly forming a contrasting dark bar (enhanced by contrasting white framing). I have seen this in those "PFG look-alike" Bean Geese before, while on "real" PFG the greater-coverts are pale, not contrasting with the other pale parts of the wing or even slightly paler.

Conclusion? I am unsure, and with the status of PFG in European Russia in mind I would opt for Bean Goose (mainly by the dark greater coverts bar and the strange gut feeling described above). But with such a bad feeling. And I hope for more comments as always. Thanks!

PFG would be an extreme vagrant. these are very very likely Tundra Bean Geese. Concerning leg colour I recently fell into that trap seeing pics of a large flock of rossicus which even in best light seemed to show pinkish legs (I think cameras easily get tricked and give orange legs a pink cast).

Don't think we can say definitely from these pics. However, just to point out that the upper wing appears quite pale, and the seems a fair bit of white in the tail

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back