• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tundra Bean Goose? SH/Germany, 01/2017 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Not entirely sure yet of this ID, as geese aren't exactly my strong suit. The bird was the only one of its kind in a small mixed flock of Greylag and Greater White-fronted Geese feeding on a field not far from a bigger lake in Holstein (N Germany), today.
As can be seen in the picture, the bird was smaller than a Greylag Goose, with a darker head, and its feet appeared to be more or less the same colour as those of the surrounding Greylags. Additionally, the apparently large head and lack of "frosting" on the upper side leads me to believe that this is a Tundra Bean Goose and not a Pink-footed Goose. Is that correct? The pale spot on the bill looks more pink than I expected, though.
Also, can a hybrid be excluded?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Andy

Attachments

• DSCF1283 - Kopie.JPG
    DSCF1283 - Kopie.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1286 - Kopie.JPG
    DSCF1286 - Kopie.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 64
I'd agree with Tundra Bean :t:

The pale spot on the bill looking pink is I think just an effect of poor light. Pinkfoot is much more silvery-toned on upperparts.

Thanks. Wanted to make sure since it's my first record of this species, the previous ones being lost somewhere and without pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back