• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turning on flash for OM1 (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

Sorry I am probably being really daft but I can't get my OM1 to work with a flash. When I press the Sequential shooting/self-timer/ flash. I can see that flash is off. It looks like this should be changed by rotating the front dial but this doesn't work and I am at a loss as to what to do.

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

In case anyone else has the problem is was because I was using the electronic shutter, so it was silent, forgetting completely that it has to be on mechanical for the flash to work.

In case anyone else has the problem is was because I was using the electronic shutter, so it was silent, forgetting completely that it has to be on mechanical for the flash to work.
Crikey, if I wasn't a relentless user of mechanical shutter (to avoid rolling shutter issues) I might have been caught the same way!

John

What are rolling shutter issues?

I found out due to help on the OM1 forum. I'm not sure I would ever have worked it out otherwise.
Rolling shutter distorts verticals (posts, buildings, trees etc) in backgrounds, mainly when panning following flying/running subjects. It looks weird and horrible.

Forums for all kinds of specific kit are a great internet asset.

Cheers

John

Rolling shutter distorts verticals (posts, buildings, trees etc) in backgrounds, mainly when panning following flying/running subjects. It looks weird and horrible.

Forums for all kinds of specific kit are a great internet asset.

Cheers

John
I am not an OM1 user, but the reviews when it came out said that the very fast read out of the sensor made rolling shutter much less of a problem than it used to be on earlier models.
Niels

I am not an OM1 user, but the reviews when it came out said that the very fast read out of the sensor made rolling shutter much less of a problem than it used to be on earlier models.
Niels
Rolling shutter problems pretty much disappeared on Oly cameras with the EM-1 mk. ii (came out c. 2017). I always use the electronic shutter on mine when not using flash, and have never had a problem.

I don't know if you have noticed but some extra replies to your query on 'E Group' forum state that it is possible to use flash with electronic shutter. It has to be enabled in the menu and there are some restrictions on sync speed.

Ron

I don't know if you have noticed but some extra replies to your query on 'E Group' forum state that it is possible to use flash with electronic shutter. It has to be enabled in the menu and there are some restrictions on sync speed.

Ron
No I hadn't seen that. Something to investigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back