• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twite or Linnet - Dublin (1 Viewer)

vgarland

Amateur Bird Photography
Ireland
Taken today at the Great South Wall Dublin.

I'm thinking Twite - but that is heavily influenced by the fact that this would be a Lifer!

Best regards,

Victor

Attachments

• 559A6523.jpg
    559A6523.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
I thought someone would answer before me, but, if not, I think your bird shows at least some characteristics of Linnet (pale cheek spot, pale crescents under and over the eye and a biggish bill). I also think we can just about see the breast and belly streaking pattern of Linnet (the photo is from the side, so the narrow, elongated central belly area that lacks streaking is barely visible).

EDIT: Not sure about the rest now, but Twites seem to have less extensive streaking with a bigger area without streaking, having a graduated border (= perpendicular steps). I may have jumped the gun on this one, I think I have, so I stand to be corrected. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, this is a troublesome one. The 'grey bill, grey head contrasting with plain brownish upperparts' of a linnet doesn't seem to match, but then there's white in the wing, and overall doesn't look dark enough for twite, so I would go for linnet. But then there's not black in the wing either... hope someone else chips in, sorry.

Thank you everybody for your help. I am going with Juvenile Linnet. Like most of the responses, I had a doubt because of the streaking which looked more "Twite" like to me. But it is not clearly obvious that it is a Twite and on reflection the bill size seems more like a Linnet. So still waiting for that Lifer!

Best regards,

Victor.

I (at least) intended to say that the streaking was more Linnetlike, but, then, I don't know--maybe someone else can explain the difference?

I've often half-convinced myself of Twites in Dublin and Dun Laoghaire vgarland, but always have to admit they are Linnet in the end. Twites very scarce except in the north and northwest of the country. I wouldn't trust myself with anything other than an adult with a nice yellow bill.

(Although the bill can appear yellow when viewed directly against the sun, even though it's actually grey.)

Can we say that Linnets/Twites tend to vary in underparts streaking pattern (excluding male Linnets showing red patches)?

Attachments

• 20230619_164752.jpg
    20230619_164752.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back