• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Flycatchers in Northern Arizona (1 Viewer)

sirijay

These photos were taken somewhere near Flagstaff AZ or the Grand Canyon in May. I think one is a a Dusky and the other a Gray - not sure which is which - or are they the same species? They are two different birds. Thank youfor your help.Flycatcher-A.jpgFlycatcher-B.jpg

The bottom one is definitely Gray Flycatcher with that long bicolored bill. We probably can’t identify the top picture with confidence since the primary tips are obscured.

Perhaps: nothing which contradicts grey, and various points in favour. I'd probably tick it myself...
That’s what I thought as well, but to me the angle of the birds head in the photo leaves me less than certain in addition to the obscured primaries. Maybe there is enough there to go with Gray Flycatcher, but it gives me pause personally.

Habitat might be a good clue as well, although there could still be migrants passing through. Gray would prefer a dryer, more open habitat. The tail motion is really helpful to me for identifying Gray Flycatcher, as it's the only Empid that flicks down first.

When you are birding in the west and you see a gray-colored Emidonax, you always have to remind yourself to watch what it is doing with its tail. That can sometimes be the easiest way to get an identification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back