• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Novices Let Loose in Angus (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Two Novices let loose in Angus

I arranged to meet BF member Chris Baker from Pitlochry, at RSPB Kinnordy Loch this morning at 9am. The sun was just rising over the horizon when we arrived and, although cold, was promising to be a nice day.

We started our viewing from the central hide to be greeted by a frozen loch with a huddle of Mute Swans, Mallard, Wigeon and Teal, a few Black Headed Gulls and a 2nd Winter Herring Gull all restricted to a small patch of ice-free water. Three Buzzards were visible sitting in various trees. We stayed there for some time but little else showed so moved on down to the Swamp Hide and en route saw Blackbird, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Chaffinch in the trees. The swamp area had about 50 Whooper Swans. A couple of Pheasants came in and skidded across the ice before making it to safety on a grassy island. A flock of mixed tits, Coal, Blue and Great spent their time feeding in the reeds and flying back to the bushes. We heard, and eventually saw, a Wren very busy round the base of the hide. A skein of Pinkfoot Geese flew over heading west.

I took a short break at this point to run into Kirriemuir to fill up with petrol. Whilst I was away Chris saw a Kestrel, which later showed again for me. Then we had a magic moment when a female Hen Harrier :D appeared and started hunting over the reed beds. I had seen Marsh Harrier there before but never a Hen Harrier!

It was by now about 1 o'clock and Chris was wanting to see Brambling. So I drove him round the little side roads where we usually get them but no joy. We did see some Reed Bunting though and on the way to Loch of Lintrathen I spotted a Red Legged Partridge.

Lintrathen was not frozen and was full of wild fowl. Tufted Duck, Wigeon, Mallard, Goldeneye, Goosander, more Whooper Swans and three Cormorants sitting in a tree on the far side of the loch. Then we had another surprise when a Kingfisher:-O flew past the hide. The first one I had seen at all in this area. Three more Buzzards were displaying over the trees calling to each other.

On the way home, still looking for Brambling, we had a flock of Fieldfare to finish off the day.

No Brambling for you Chris, I'm sorry – failed miserably!:-C

Attached are some of the pictures taken by Chris.

D

Attachments

• Kestrel.jpeg
    Kestrel.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Buzzard.jpeg
    Buzzard.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Hen Harrier.jpeg
    Hen Harrier.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 148
And some more of Chris's pictures.

D

Attachments

• Robin.jpeg
    Robin.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Great Tit.jpeg
    Great Tit.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Mallards.jpeg
    Mallards.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Mute Swan on Ice.jpeg
    Mute Swan on Ice.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Pheasant on Ice.jpeg
    Pheasant on Ice.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 128
Woah, what fantastic pictures :t: and it sounds like a great day out. I am very envious. I would have liked to have seen both the woodpecker and the harrier.

Frogbad said:
Woah, what fantastic pictures :t: and it sounds like a great day out. I am very envious. I would have liked to have seen both the woodpecker and the harrier.

Hi Frogbad

Chris did a great job with the pictures didn't he, for all he kept moaning about the light! ;) .

I suppose we could be lucky then, to see GSW regularly here but that was my first Hen Harrier up here for several years. We used to see some often up on the moors. :C

D

delia todd said:
Hi Frogbad

Chris did a great job with the pictures didn't he, for all he kept moaning about the light! ;) .

I suppose we could be lucky then, to see GSW regularly here but that was my first Hen Harrier up here for several years. We used to see some often up on the moors. :C

D
hi sound a good day, and some great photos as well.
:bounce: :bounce:

Nice report Delia and thank you for your comments on the photos. The light was pretty poor for most of the day but this was more than made up for with Delia's company and a pretty good selection of birds, particularly the Harrier.

Shouldn't laugh really but I found the Swan's three point landings and 25 yard skids most amusing.

All in all a very pleasant day which we plan to do again sometime. Thanks again Delia,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back