• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two people break 10,000 species, and on the same day? Can it be? (1 Viewer)

I'm considering removing the 500 rarest species from my public list
To me this is proof positive that many of these records were incorrect. If he had spent 15 years diligently pursuing this hobby and had seen some of the rarest birds in the world, he would not immediately offer to take them off his list when met with skepticism.

The reason to say this explicitly rather than, e.g., "well whoever was first, they both deserve congratulations," is that by making his fake list, Jason diminished Peter's accomplishment, if only temporarily, and caused Peter to change his plans of seeing 10k with his family.

No personal animosity towards Jason--I'm sure he's gotten more than he bargained for here. But from the standpoint of closing the book on this unfortunate chapter I think this response of his deserves attention because it essentially proves that his list is incorrect.

His post did not sound gracious to me :). His explanations were nonsense, and he still claims to be 10k+. Teleportation to 10k (or close to it) and signing off with a show of faux virtue, managing to roll back some of his widespread ridicule, is a great compromise for him after comically overplaying his hand in front of the entire birding community. A busy person in a competitive business, by his admission, having barely birded outside the US until July 2007 and virtually unknown (no pun intended), is not a recipe for 10k in 15 years. Btw he has expressed an interest in world records and made a dubious claim related to his very first trip to South America - the post in the link below is not very consistent with maintaining a publicity-free quest to 10k :).

100% in agreement. Disrespectful attempt to derail a momentous achievement.

There's now a statement from Manakin on their website:

I am a trained/professional sceptic but even I see no criticism of Manakin here and suspect that virtually all will view their involvement in the same way. As a result, this episode will surely only increase their prominence as providing excellent logistical support (even if their original transport broke down).

All the best

Paul

I am a trained/professional sceptic but even I see no criticism of Manakin here and suspect that virtually all will view their involvement in the same way. As a result, this episode will surely only increase their prominence as providing excellent logistical support (even if their original transport broke down).

All the best

Paul
Agree entirely Paul. As a professional auditor / accountant so am I!

Manakin is widely respected by world birders so this 'deflection' will have done nothing but raise their profile in a positive way.

Best regards

Mike

Everyone has their own rules. Some count heard only, some don't. Some keep separate lists of the two. And as for your second question, pretty much every species' calls are known. Heard only records should be subject to the same confirmation as seen records (in some cases, species can only be told apart by voice anyway, with no visual differences)
Since using eBird, I count more heard species, since in eBird I'm certifying that I am recording every species I identified. If I did not report a bird that I had ID'ed by ear, that would be in effect a lie. To me getting accurate data into eBird is more important to me than a personal preference as to whether or not I count heard birds as lifers. That said, I do try hard to see them all. As Jonathan rightly says, everyone has their own rules. The ABA says that there are a "Million ways to bird." Each one is valid for the individual.

Since using eBird, I count more heard species, since in eBird I'm certifying that I am recording every species I identified. If I did not report a bird that I had ID'ed by ear, that would be in effect a lie. To me getting accurate data into eBird is more important to me than a personal preference as to whether or not I count heard birds as lifers. That said, I do try hard to see them all. As Jonathan rightly says, everyone has their own rules. The ABA says that there are a "Million ways to bird." Each one is valid for the individual.
Peter, you 'count' or you 'record'?

I have always 'recorded' 'HO's but they have never counted on any life, totals but I agree, for the purpose of e.g a trip report, it would be incomplete without 'heard only' records.

Peter, you 'count' or you 'record'?

I have always 'recorded' 'HO's but they have never counted on any life, totals but I agree, for the purpose of e.g a trip report, it would be incomplete without 'heard only' records.
We've done this one before but there are those for whom the ears are the only option. Personally I think that sound can be wrong more ways than a visual identification: poorly heard error, mimicry from another species, some other birder playing a recording. For these reasons I wouldn't want a heard-only on a list but I would note them for completeness.

For finding stuff in the first place (and discarding the fast moving blip in bushes that is always a Great Tit) calls are very useful.

John

There shouldn’t be anything wrong with “lug’ole” ticks only, particularly if the call was repeated and or heard “clearly”.
Many years ago on a balmy June circa midnight, I opened the back door to put some trash in the bin and heard “wet-my-lips” thrice going North.
I can recall punching the air as it represented not just a garden flyover tick, it was also a “heard” tick.
I duly submitted the record to the local recorder assuming that it would be bounced with no ensuing response, then to my complete surprise the record was included in the following year’s report….along with a second report from another birder further North in the valley.
I’ve often wondered if it would have been given short shrift had it been the only record.😮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back