• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Type locality for Frill-necked Monarch Arses lorealis (1 Viewer)

sicklebill

well-known Cretaceous relic
Australia
Hoping someone can help Rob Reed who is doing a paper on the ornithological history of Cape York:
I cannot definitively find the locality where Kendall Broadbent obtained this species. De Vis does not refer to it in his 1895 paper: [v.20]=[no.77-80] (1895-1896) - Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Others refer to "N.Q. C. York" eg RAOU 1926 Checklist and Favaloro 1931:
Favaloro, N. J. 1931 Notes on Arses kaupi and Arses lorealis Emu 30:4 241-2
Next to this paper I have penned "Iron Range" but I cannot see any ref where I saw this or why I wrote it! I cannot find the specimen across any of the museum sites, ALA etc.
Significant to this paper as it would be another "first" for the Tip area on top of Gould's many.
Of course what is known is that Barnard procured eggs and skins from the Tip soon after in 1896 and that there was a skin undetected and undescribed from Macleay's set from 1875 where he would have acquired it from the Tip on the Chevert expedition.

As an aside, I note that Mathews’s pair, described in Birds of Australia, 1921, IX, pp. 74-75 (sub nom. Proseisura lorealis), were collected at Piara Scrubs, Cape York (male) and at Somerset, Cape York (female). Mathews was keen to have his specimens collected at or near the original type locality, so this may have some relevance.

I cannot find the specimen across any of the museum sites, ALA etc.

The specimens are in the Queensland Museum:
But the only geographical info that appears to come with them is "Cape York Peninsula" -- if what Rob is after is something more precise, this will not help him.

Last edited:
The specimens are in the Queensland Museum:
But the only geographical info that appears to come with them is "Cape York Peninsula" -- if what Rob is after is something more precise, this will not help him.
Thank you Laurent and James, I think Rob was hoping for a specific locality which seems to be a problem

Fulton, G. (2021). A detailed report on the birds collected on the Chevert Expedition to New Guinea, in 1875. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales 143, 9-36. Says that Broadbent was not a member of the expedition … “Broadbent had collected birds on the western side of Cape York while the Chevert’s naturalists had been collecting on islands off the eastern side. He was collecting at the Somerset outpost (top of Cape York) when he met with the expeditioners on their return journey, in mid-September 1875 Ramsey reported a bird he identified as Arses t. collected by Broadbent September 1875 in Somerset Cape York. Page 375.

Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales .

One Nest of Australia book says the type was collected by Broadbent in March 1895. Page 128.

Nests and Eggs of Australian Birds .

Another nest book has the most complete information on this species most interesting is the second name of the species published in the Ibis which was a label name of Broadbent. It reidentifies Ramsey bird as this species also. (p.172)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._and_Tasmania_(IA_nestseggsofbirds01nort).pdf .

No proof of a specific locality but probavbly Somerset outpost.

I also gave it a go, and sorry for any cross-postings in comparison with what's shown in Mark's post #5 (posted while I was writing this one) ...

As told in the OD (in post #1) of the Frill-necked Monarch/Flycatcher Proseisura/Arses (telescophthalmus) lorealis DE VIS 1895, it didn't/doesn't give us an exact Type location, nothing closer than: "Hab.—Cape York", however, I assume "Rob Reed" has read the account in Birds of Australia, Vol. 9 by Mathews, as James pointed out in post #2 (direct link: here, as "Proseisura lorealis", actually starting with the very last sentence on page 72), as well as George Mack's Paper Birds from Cape York Peninsula, Queensland, from 1953, here , in which we're told: "In Australia, this flycatcher is confined to the rainforest north of Coen", with four specimens mentioned:
ARSES TELESCOPHTHALMUS LOREALIS De Vis FRILL-NECKED FLYCATCHER
[...]
MATERIAL.—Tozer Gap (R.F.), one male, one female, Peach River (R.F.), two males.
The "(R.F.)" part/s, in this quote, is short for nothing but: Rain Forest. But also note that those particular specimens were collected far later (in the late 1940's), by "D. P. Vernon". However, it gives us a hint on the 'whereabouts', where this taxon is/was found ...

In any case, the Types were clearly collected by Kendall Broadbent (1837–1911), apparently in March 1895.

Maybe something could be understood if the trail of (the nomen nudum/synonym) "Arses candidior" is followed, see this page, but, as Laurent have shown (in post #3), the specimen labels of the two Types themselves, for Arses lorealis (No. 03697 & No. 03698), didn't add any info (not re. an exact Type location, that is).

In any case, Favaloro's Paper, from 1931, here. Also see this Paper of 1958 (bottom of page 90), where the distribution again is stated as: "... confined to the rain forest of Coen, Cape York". Or see here, with its Ibis reference here.

Next to this paper I have penned "Iron Range" but I cannot see any ref where I saw this or why I wrote it! ...
Couldn't it simply origin from Handbook of the Birds of the World, by del Hoyo, et al. (Volume 11), 1992 (page 315):
Distribution Extreme N Australia. N Cape York Peninsula ... including Iron Range, Coen area and Silver Plains, in NE Queensland.
Google Snippet views; here, alt./or here. Or not?

The only possibility left, as far as I can tell, to find an exact Type location, could/would be if there are some kind of records, field notes, a log (book), diary, etc., etc. written by the collector Kendall Broadbent himself.

Or, maybe it could be worth trying to find the additional specimens (from "1873" resp. "1875"), kept in the Museums of Melbourne and Sydney, mentioned by Favaloro (and Mark, in post #5) ...

Either way, take the above for what it's worth, hopefully of some use/help?

And, Good luck pin-pointing the Type location.

Björn

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back