• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

types of feed ? (2 Viewers)

ticomique

Canada
Yo ! I have set aside any other type of bird feed except for back sunflower seeds because many years ago, the bag of seeds I had bought produced infernal vines I was never able to get rid of. Long, thin, grow like hell ! Black sunflower helps many species winter over up here in chilly N- Québec. I go through two 33 lb bags per winter. Question is this : what else could I economically put in the feeder to accomodate birds that don't break up and eat whole sunflower seeds ? Would they go for cracked corn ? Any other suggestions ? Thanks for your time.

I feed suet blocks, suet balls, peanuts in feeders. I also put out soaked sultanas, grated cheese, chopped apples and if there is any plain cooked rice or pasta left over, I put that out too.

I feed suet blocks, suet balls, peanuts in feeders. I also put out soaked sultanas, grated cheese, chopped apples and if there is any plain cooked rice or pasta left over, I put that out too.
I had forgotten to mention the commercial suet blocks. Thank you. More possibilties.

Cracked corn is a great option for your avian visitors. Smaller birds like finches and sparrows might appreciate some millet in their diet. Also, niger seed (often referred to as thistle seed) will be attractive to finches and tiny birds alike. Mealworms can provide some protein for bluebirds or insectivorous birds if that's something you'd like to provide them as well.

Cracked corn is a great option for your avian visitors. Smaller birds like finches and sparrows might appreciate some millet in their diet. Also, niger seed (often referred to as thistle seed) will be attractive to finches and tiny birds alike. Mealworms can provide some protein for bluebirds or insectivorous birds if that's something you'd like to provide them as well.
Yo ! Thank you ! I'll try to buy a little bit of cracked corn fom a farmer, because our local mill only sells HUGE 50 lb bags. I will wait till october for the other ones.

Yo ! I have set aside any other type of bird feed except for back sunflower seeds because many years ago, the bag of seeds I had bought produced infernal vines I was never able to get rid of. Long, thin, grow like hell ! Black sunflower helps many species winter over up here in chilly N- Québec. I go through two 33 lb bags per winter. Question is this : what else could I economically put in the feeder to accomodate birds that don't break up and eat whole sunflower seeds ? Would they go for cracked corn ? Any other suggestions ? Thanks for your time.
Firstly I believe you meant Black Oil Sunflower seed and it is a great winter time seed but as important is the Grey Striped Sunflower seed. Yuh birds by nature will go for cracked corn a what I call filler to a mixed offering but many times when birds see something that is new to them they bypass and go with the more familiar but eventually begin eating the more recent offering. The only seed and I mention this one because bags of mixed seeds you'll find full of this seed...the White Millet is by far the least favorite of the birds. When every other seed in your offering are gone the White Millet will remain un-eaten.

Millet is good in a tray or scattered on the ground, buy it hulled if sprouting is an issue. And go light, it goes slowly. Black-oil is the bread-and-butter of the bird world. Peanuts. Suet is always good, try no-melt while it's warmer. Seed cakes are a good alternative in warm weather as well, basically a big bird-themed granola bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back