• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U/D Long Billed Bird - South East England (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I have had my trail camera out by a puddle that formed behind my wildflower meadow where there are tons of birds and I got a video of this guy.

He seems to be grey, have a long, slender, straight, pointy black beak. He also has a black patch on the back of his neck. I've never seen him before and have no idea what he might be, please have a look at the attatched images and let me know of any ideas!

Thank you very much in advance,
Jake

PS; bonus photo of Kestrel that I took on the way to retrieve camera.

Long Nose Bird SS1.jpgLong Nose Bird SS2.jpg
Long Nose Bird SS3.jpg
Long Nose Bird SS4.jpg

Attachments

• Kestrel 2.JPG
    Kestrel 2.JPG
    506.6 KB · Views: 37
I think it is only in picture 1 that the bill looks long, and I think there is a coincidental branch in the background that makes it appear longer. In the other pictures the bill and the bird look rather thush-like. I'm going to hazard Mistle Thrush

I think it is only in picture 1 that the bill looks long, and I think there is a coincidental branch in the background that makes it appear longer. In the other pictures the bill and the bird look rather thush-like. I'm going to hazard Mistle Thrush
I think that's a much better shout than my first attempt. That beady eye....

You are right, I had a look at the footage and realised that is the case, and it does have a relatively normal beak, I'll attatch a screen capture of me flicking between frames to illustrate it better.

Attachments

• Unidentified Bird Beak.mp4
    276.7 KB
...that's the 2nd bird. The first isn't necessarily the same at all - more like a collared dove though looks oddly miniature.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back