• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UAE Dubai shorebird . June 8th (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

This is a photo of a bird I saw while at the Ra's al-Khor wildlife sanctuary in Dubai. I guess it sort of looks like a juvenile Red-necked Phalarope, but based on how it is feeding (walking around in shallow water, often together with a Black-winged Stilt), I am not thinking that is a phalarope.
Is there enough detail in this photo (taken with my cell phone through my binoculars) to indicate what this actually is?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20170608_120226.jpg
    IMG_20170608_120226.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 93
It is a Black-winged Stilt chick

That makes sense. But a couple of details trouble me, as I look at the description of a juvenile Black-winged Stilt in the field Guide I have (Birds of the Middle East 2ne Ed., Porter & Aspinall).
First the leg color seemed yellow if anything, but not pink or red. and the deep brown color went up the back of the neck in a continuous stripe to the top of the head. Also the size was much smaller than the adult Black winged stilt. (The unknown birds top of its head was about the same height as the bottom of the stilts belly)
Here are a couple more photos of the bird

Attachments

• IMG_20170608_120247.jpg
    IMG_20170608_120247.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170608_115158.jpg
    IMG_20170608_115158.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 43
Its much younger than illustrated in Porter et. al I think - the brown tones disappear soon. Its actually not far off flying. I wouldn't trust leg colour on these photos. - edit; I should mention though that juv. BwS legs are yellowish- grey and don't become pink till much later

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks very much for all the inputs. BwS it is.
And I believe that the out of out of focus bird is Kentish Plover. There were about 20 of them at the site

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back