• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[UK] No blackbirds in September. Moult? (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

Through the British Spring and Summer we've had a a multitude of Blackbirds visiting the garden, including Sparrows and Great Tits. However, having been away for most of August I've returned to a completely empty garden.

Having doing a bit of research, I've discovered this could be due to birds moulting at this time of the year. Is this correct?

If it is, when do birds generally return back to the garden after moulting?

I used to get through 1KG of mealworm a month and an apple a day but now the garden is desolate |:(|

Partly it's moult (they go quiet and hide away while they can't fly too well), but it's also the season of plenty of natural food, the don't need to come to bird feeders at the moment. They'll come back to the feeders when times get tough again, which could be any time from now till November, depending on what natural seed crops etc., are like.

Hi

I asked a similar question about birds in general and it was answered perfectly by, delia todd, a Moderator on the website who said, There is plenty of natural feed for them in the wider countryside just now... they'll be back, don't worry.

I have not seen a Blackbird for a few weeks, and at this moment in time I have a bird table with a selection of fruit on, which they totally adore, untouched.

I know they will be back, and then it will be a stampede for the grub.

Finally, I find Blackbirds tend to slightly moult, but very little, just the edges.

Sannie

Thanks for the responses guys.

Hi

I asked a similar question about birds in general and it was answered perfectly by, delia todd, a Moderator on the website who said, There is plenty of natural feed for them in the wider countryside just now... they'll be back, don't worry.

I have not seen a Blackbird for a few weeks, and at this moment in time I have a bird table with a selection of fruit on, which they totally adore, untouched.

I know they will be back, and then it will be a stampede for the grub.

Finally, I find Blackbirds tend to slightly moult, but very little, just the edges.

Sannie
This is good to hear Sannie. I'm glad I'm not the only one and that they will soon be back.

Actually, just over the weekend we had some Great Tits fly in to grab some sun flower seeds which I was excited to see. We also have a lone blackbird which comes in now and then - it has a black bill so I think it might be a young one. Anyway, I'm still leaving out mealworm and he/she works through it slowly. |:d|

Hi there,

Through the British Spring and Summer we've had a a multitude of Blackbirds visiting the garden, including Sparrows and Great Tits. However, having been away for most of August I've returned to a completely empty garden.

Having doing a bit of research, I've discovered this could be due to birds moulting at this time of the year. Is this correct?

If it is, when do birds generally return back to the garden after moulting?

I used to get through 1KG of mealworm a month and an apple a day but now the garden is desolate |:(|
A little bit concerned as well... have not seen a blackbird for weeks, in September on our property they are usually gorging themselves on windfall apples , rowen and pyracantha berries. Our Rowan berries are dessicatting and dropping no sign of the birds at all.. every thing else untouched. This is odd.

A little bit concerned as well... have not seen a blackbird for weeks, in September on our property they are usually gorging themselves on windfall apples , rowen and pyracantha berries. Our Rowan berries are dessicatting and dropping no sign of the birds at all.. every thing else untouched. This is odd.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, although it isn't good news for any of us who like the wild birds etc. Slowly seeing things return back to the garden this week. Though I've not seen any blackbirds, food has been taken!

The first Blackbird arrived this very morning, followed by a young Robin and then a smile from myself.

Sannie.
That's great news. Never had a Robin in our garden as we live quite close to City -- is it easy to encourage them in?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back