• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Osprey sighting in November? (1 Viewer)

Topaz

Hi all,

Had a query from a friend this morning with a sighting of a large BoP in Devon, near to the River Avon Estuary, in a small patch of woodland.

Here was the description:

"Mum and I saw a huge, beautiful bird of prey in fairly remote woodland, near the estuary and I can't identify it. We saw it close up and it flew a short distance from us and stopped, several times, which was fantastic. It had a prominent hooked nose, a white head, face and chest and brown back feathers. The underside of its wings were white with black bars. It was substantially bigger than a buzzard. Any ideas?"

Going on internet image searches they are fairly sure they've seen an Osprey. Obviously, I'd expect all UK Ospreys to have left for Africa months ago, and even with a v.warm autumn in the SW.

So my question is, is this kind of abnormal migration something that you get with Ospreys, particularly a juvenille? And is it rare enough for them to go back down there to try to snap a picture! Or is is more likely to be something else?

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers!

Osprey ?

I guess its not impossible that an Osprey would be hanging around until late autumn, but I myself have seen some very pale looking Buzzards with wet plumage which makes their plumage appear Black and White from a distance, sitting looking pretty miserable in fields and woods recently, a photo would be interesting.

Hi all,

Had a query from a friend this morning with a sighting of a large BoP in Devon, near to the River Avon Estuary, in a small patch of woodland.

Here was the description:

"Mum and I saw a huge, beautiful bird of prey in fairly remote woodland, near the estuary and I can't identify it. We saw it close up and it flew a short distance from us and stopped, several times, which was fantastic. It had a prominent hooked nose, a white head, face and chest and brown back feathers. The underside of its wings were white with black bars. It was substantially bigger than a buzzard. Any ideas?"

Going on internet image searches they are fairly sure they've seen an Osprey. Obviously, I'd expect all UK Ospreys to have left for Africa months ago, and even with a v.warm autumn in the SW.

So my question is, is this kind of abnormal migration something that you get with Ospreys, particularly a juvenille? And is it rare enough for them to go back down there to try to snap a picture! Or is is more likely to be something else?

Suggestions welcome!

Cheers!

I saw my first ever UK Osprey in November, in the Goyt Valley - Fernilee Reservoir I think it was - longer ago than I care to remember, so definitely not impossible! However, there are a lot more Common Buzzards around these days ...

Hi all,

It had a prominent hooked nose, a white head, face and chest and brown back feathers. The underside of its wings were white with black bars. It was substantially bigger than a buzzard. Any ideas?"

Very good description of a Buzzard indeed, especially 'substantially bigger than buzzard' is often heard when the buzzard is closer than usual

There have been very late Ospreys in Leicestershire both last year and this. Into November last year, and up to October 31st this year. Thought to be migrants from elsewhere rather than birds from the Rutland project.

So I would not be at all surprised by one in Devon now.

Steve

Great advice guys and thanks.

I said the same about the size.... Buzzards are bigger than you might expect up close!

I trust these guys enough to believe them when they say it was definitely whiter than a buzzard. Especially at a distance of about 20 metres!

Many thanks!

Topaz;3121451 I trust these guys enough to believe them when they say it was definitely whiter than a buzzard. Especially at a distance of about 20 metres! Many thanks![/QUOTE said:
Buzzards are extremely variable and can be very white. If they saw an Osprey down to 20m they wouldn't describe it as having a white head and face because the striking dark mask would surely really stand out as a feature. My money's on buzzard.

Great advice guys and thanks.

I said the same about the size.... Buzzards are bigger than you might expect up close!

I trust these guys enough to believe them when they say it was definitely whiter than a buzzard. Especially at a distance of about 20 metres!

Many thanks!

I think you would be surprised just how 'pale' Buzzards can be. Looks about right for the description

http://www.birdsofeurope.co.uk/JUVBUZZc.jpg

You saw an Osprey no doubt! Double the size of a Buzzard. Ospreys follow the rivers and lakes northwards when they arrive in the UK. And also follow the waterways to the south coast in preparation to emigrate.
From your description, it certainly sound like an Osprey. Unless someone has a pet Bald Eagle.

Only other bird it could have been is one of the Welsh coloured kites, ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back