• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

uk raptor (1 Viewer)

captaincarot

hi chaps 2 pics of the same bird here.

think it was probably kestrel, but not totally sure, no hovering, soaring flight long way off. so just want confirmation or otherwise please

Attachments

• brushes 082a.jpg
    brushes 082a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 315
  • brushes 083a.jpg
    brushes 083a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 295
It looks like a Kestrel to me. I don't know when they moult offhand, but in terms of body structure and wing-shape, this is either a moulting adult (my guess) or a young bird not long out of the nest. The wings are relatively too narrow for Sparrowhawk and the head too large.

Cheers

This may be because I've been watching and photographing a Kestrel this morning, but my first impression was Kestrel. But that's mostly based on the first picture, the second gives me doubt.

So, not really much help.

Hi, just to add reason to why I think it's a sparrowhawk - the wings seem simply too broad and the 'hand' too rounded for kestrel, although it does have a kestrel-like appearance in the 1st pic...

The only thing I am sure about is that it isn't a Kestrel - silhouette is just wrong for this species and the wings aren't pointy enough.

The problem I have is that it doesn't look quite right for Sparrowhawk, with what appears to be a "barrel chest" in the second picture and is the tail slightly rounded? I did also briefly think Harrier as there is almost a hint of a white rump in one photo. It is difficult to tell from these photos, but the safest option is "probably a Sparrowhawk". Anyone have any other comments?

for what its worth CC

Pic one Kestrel......
Pic Two Sparrowhawk.... ;)

Lol

Seriously though when you have a debate such as this go with your first instincts.... Kestrel :t:

The 2nd pic looks like a Sparrohawk to me. Rounded wings, longish tail and the head shape looks completely wrong for a Kes to me. The difference between the 2 pics is quite interesting, as bannafishbones says the 1st looks more kestrel like, the 2nd a Sprawk, however I'm sure they are the same bird, its just a question of jiz.

Kestrels can look quite deceptively round-winged when soaring and this is clearly one. I see a lot of Sparrowhawks (they nest very near our house) and this obviously isn't one. Tail too long, wings a tad too long and not nearly rounded enough. Colour in the first pic is a clear Kestrel colour too.

In picture one, the upperwings are clearly orange-brown toned.. clearly a Kestrel. I can't even begin to understand where Sparrowhawk comes into it...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back