• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Spring gatherings of Hobbys. Moving north from Beds/Bucks/Cambs/Suffolk to Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted

Graham Howard Shortt
10-15 years ago there were significant gatherings of Hobbys in May at several staging sites in the south where dozens of birds could be seen together hawking insects. This year I've visited Wilstone Reservoir, Linford GPs, Marston Vale, Grovebury Pit etc without seeing a single one. I was going to look further afield to Summer Leys, Stanwick, Paxton Pits, or the Lodge, or even out to Fowlmere or Lakenheath (where I have seen over 60 in the air together) but are these sites still used? I saw that Thorne Moors had a record 71 Hobbies last week. Is climate change and a change to mayfly and dragonfly emergence moving them north? I haven't seen a good gathering for several years and am desperate to watch the spectacle again.

Thanks!
Graham

71?
Mind blowing! The Hobby population is expanding North so I am not sure if the population in the south has decreased.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back