• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Starlings.........is there a BIG increase in numbers this year ? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Having lived in this house for 30 years we remember getting so many Starling they were (to us) a real nuisance e.g. we could not leave washing out and the car was regularly covered in purple poo :( (from the berries they ate).
For some reason they virtually disappeared.........just the odd ones showing up. TBH we were quite happy with that.
Suddenly, this week, we are once again inundated with them! No where near the old numbers (fortunately) but a BIG increase compared to the last 30 years.
Is that peculiar to this area or a UK experience ??

Ebb and flow probably - my data point is the opposite. Normally I have at least 3 pairs nesting around the house/outbuildings, but only one pair this year and they're only half-hearted in their breeding activity up to now.
Do any talk with a Surrey accent :)

Ebb and flow probably - my data point is the opposite. Normally I have at least 3 pairs nesting around the house/outbuildings, but only one pair this year and they're only half-hearted in their breeding activity up to now.
Do any talk with a Surrey accent :)
TBH I did hear one of them say "cor blimey........its colder 'ere than daan saaf. Where's me warm trousaaaahs.
Their breeding activity sounds like mine has been for many years.

Flock of 11 in my garden yesterday is the first garden Starlings at all for several years, and the first flock for over 20 years. I've also noticed more generally around the area. So yes, I'd agree things do seem to be 'on the up' at last.

But still a long way to go to get back to the numbers formerly reported on.

I have had flocks of them over the last few months coming into my garden in Lytham St Annes ( Lancs )

Sometimes there have been over twenty at a time.

As I write this there are three here now eating off the feeder ----- they seem to enjoy the fat balls !

Graham

They are still conspicuous by their absence from our garden and have been for some years.

We have had a pair in the garden for 2 hours....an adult feeding the young one (although the young one seems bigger than the adult :) )
Regularly getting 3 or 4 'stealing' the fat balls that belongs to the various Tits etc...........naughty Starlings!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back