• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Two Geese (1 Viewer)

Mad Scientist

The first one I think is Greylag?
The second one I'll take a guess at Brent, but it lacks the white neck marking that they are meant to have.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Nov5a.jpg
    Nov5a.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Nov5b.jpg
    Nov5b.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 205
The Brent Goose is a Dark-bellied (bernicla) and not pale-bellied (hrota) as suggested.

Even if this individual is set under a pretty strong light (especially on the posterior quartes, with a correspondig strong shadow cast on its anteriors), the best pointers visible for bernicla are:
- the very little contrast between the blackish breast / rectrices and the rather dark grey belly / undewing coverts (almost black-and-white contrast in hrota)
- the rather uniform color of the flanks, from breast to tail (pale-bellied juveniles have almost whitish central flanks contrasting with light smoky fore-belly and a darker comma just before the undertail coverts)
- the presence of grey pigment shaped like a neat dark backward protrusion, from the center of the belly toward the undertail coverts (absent or faded in pale-bellied)
- the robust-looking and thick-based bill with a strongly humped culmen (much slimmer and more pointed in hrota, with a sloping or slightly concave culmen)

If you compare this bird with those depicted in this photographs found on the internet, you can see that the differences between bernicla and hrota, both structural and chromatic, are fairly strong and constant!

Greetings

Igor Festari, Italy

Thank you for your very detailed post Igor. I've looked at various images now from the web, and for the life of me, I still couldn't be sure about the bird above without the help of people like your good self. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back