• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultimate Deck Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

They have a fashionable headrest. I wonder what the close-focus distance is (joking). Those spikes on the ends of the tripod legs would rule out indoor use due to damage to floors and carpets. Is it waterproof? An interesting curiosity.

Has anyone here actually looked through the make/model binocular featured in the original post?

I have tried an APM 70mm 45 degree (I think - owned by willspd here) and liked it. The 82mm model with wide angle eyepieces for the equivalent of maybe 12 to 15x magnification, on a suitable tripod, would be a very nice setup indeed for fixed position viewing.

Has anyone here actually looked through the make/model binocular featured in the original post?

I have tried an APM 70mm 45 degree (I think - owned by willspd here) and liked it. The 82mm model with wide angle eyepieces for the equivalent of maybe 12 to 15x magnification, on a suitable tripod, would be a very nice setup indeed for fixed position viewing.
No, but note the yellow tinted lenses in the description.

I had a brief look online. They are still made, no price is listed but buying Russian military market equipment might be a bit problematic at the moment!

Binomania reviewed a pair (same optics, different mount).

Yes I have looked through one of these in David Hinds store.

They have a 6 degree field of view.
The one I used was well aligned, but they are often out of collimation.

They are rather common.

They are called border guard binoculars.

Less common is the 20x110.

A more ultimate deck binocular would be the Fujinon 25x150 or 40x150.

Or more interestingly the 300mm APM binocular.

There are Japanese WW2 180mm binoculars and a 250mm binocular in a Japanese museum.

There were three 300mm Zeiss binoculars on enormous turntable mounts, but these didn't survive.
I found these at the IWM where I spent weeks going through their optical records.
I think it would take a lifetime to go through all their records of optical items and aircraft, which also interests me.

There was also a Leica cross channel lens.
I thought around 3,400mm, but I see a record now of a Leica 2000mm f/4 lens also, which was destroyed before it could be put to use.

There was a very fine Alvan Clark 6 inch binocular telescope.
Very large and able to take high powers.

Personally, I don't like very large binoculars and much prefer a large telescope.

There was an 11 inch refractor mounted on a truck in New York, where viewers paid a small fee to look at the top of the Empire State building.

John Wall tested his 30 inch refractor on buildings ten miles distant.

Horace Dall used a church tower at 17 miles.

I used a clock tower at 4.7 miles.

Someone on Malta used a 3 inch refractor to view buildings on Sicily 65 miles away. He clearly saw a church tower.

The record is I think in Chile where mountain tops have been seen at about 200 miles.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
2059417062_APMApoBino12inch-11.jpg.0b23e100a0c18e281f8d7bb1325108ff.jpg
The 300mm is a sight to behold!

You would need a fairly large and well built deck!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back