• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultruavid HD Plus: Slight slack in the focusing mechanism - do I care? (2 Viewers)

dwever

Today I received my pair of Ultravid HD Plus 8X42's.

Stunning in every way. The 'sparkle' we keep hearing about is not myth. Have begun numerous points of reference. For example, the texture of my neighbors roof tiles are actually available to these binoculars, I'll say more later.

However, I don't know whether or not to be concerned about 1/8" but closer perhaps to 1/16" of play in the focusing mechanism?

When changing directions with the focus wheel, there is a very slight turn in the new direction before the focusing re-engages. Slight but distinct.

In automotive gearing this is colloquially known as, “drive line slack.” All the gears are engaged in one direction, then when you go the opposite way, the tolerances in the linkages must be eliminated before the last gear finally turns.

Is a slight amount normal in the Leica Ultravid focusing mechanisms? Do I / Should I care about this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Glad you like em' ! They came fast. I don't notice any slack in the focus in my UV+. It seems
to have even tension and no problems.
I've had some slight focus issues with other bins in the past and didn't care, but then again the UV
is an expensive bino and if it bothers you then you could always call the dealer and see what they
can do for you...or, call Leica support.

Glad you like em' ! They came fast. I don't notice any slack in the focus in my UV+. It seems
to have even tension and no problems.
I've had some slight focus issues with other bins in the past and didn't care, but then again the UV
is an expensive bino and if it bothers you then you could always call the dealer and see what they
can do for you...or, call Leica support.

Yeah, I e-mailed cameralandNY dealer rep who is also present on this forum.

These also come with the Leica Passport Warranty which some didn't think it would being a SHOT Show demo.

Thanks

Last edited:
Today I received my pair of Ultravid HD Plus 8X42's.

Stunning in every way. The 'sparkle' we keep hearing about is not myth. Have begun numerous points of reference. For example, the texture of my neighbors roof tiles are actually available to these binoculars, I'll say more later.

However, I don't know whether or not to be concerned about 1/8" but closer perhaps to 1/16" of play in the focusing mechanism?

When changing directions with the focus wheel, there is a very slight turn in the new direction before the focusing re-engages. Slight but distinct.

In automotive gearing this is colloquially known as, “drive line slack.” All the gears are engaged in one direction, then when you go the opposite way, the tolerances in the linkages must be eliminated before the last gear finally turns.

Is a slight amount normal in the Leica Ultravid focusing mechanisms? Do I / Should I care about this?

Thanks!
You're probably noticing the natural resistance of a non-lubricated focus. It's "sticky" at forst but will wear in over time. The benefit is it will operate smoothly in all weather conditions...well most of them.
Enjoy.

Thank you. But they are not sticky at all. Nor is there much resistance, less than my Zeiss. It is focus slack, I remember it well from my old Steiners. Presumably these Leicas were sampled quite a bit while they were demos at the shot show.

Don't really notice any my UVHDs... Had never thought about it but got them out to check. There might be a hint of free movement in the focus wheel if I barely move it clockwise and counterclockwise (just enough force to move the wheel but not the actual focus) but this would be MAYBE 1/2 a millimeter, if THAT much.

cameralandNY graciously offered to exchange them today. I am taking them tomorrow to be looked at by someone who knows way more than me then I'll decide.

If I return them, I may just pony up the extra coin for a brand new non-demo set.

cameralandNY graciously offered to exchange them today. I am taking them tomorrow to be looked at by someone who knows way more than me then I'll decide.

If I return them, I may just pony up the extra coin for a brand new non-demo set.

Why not just take CameralandNY's offer and save the money? You said you have a Passport warranty, so Leica will make them perfect if necessary anyway.

Ed

PS. I bought my Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD from CameralandNY as a 'salesman's sample', and they were perfect from day one.

PPS. The word 'demo' means different things, and often the units are brand new with the box never opened. I'd suggest you talk with Doug and ask him the situation with yours.

PPPS. A penny saved ...

Last edited:
You're probably noticing the natural resistance of a non-lubricated focus. It's "sticky" at forst but will wear in over time. The benefit is it will operate smoothly in all weather conditions...well most of them.
Enjoy.

I wonder what the point of this grease-less system is? I have had my Zeiss out in -35 C [-45 C with the windchill] and they were flawless so it can be done in the traditional way, and the focus is always super smooth - hot, cold and everything in between.

So I've been calling Leica USA Customer Service for two days, pressing the Sports Optics selections as the rest seem to be for cameras. Just recordings so far. Yeesh. So now I've pressed the parts and technical information selection and the computer has told me my call is now first in line over and over and over and that the next available representative will take my call. After ages of this, it kicks over to voicemail and I talk to no one. So then I call them back, dial zero for the receptionist, a recording of the receptionist comes on, and it still gets kicked over to voice mail. Are you kidding me? What is there one person there?

So, I repent! A guy from Leica calls me back within ten minutes of hanging up, apologizes for what happened with their voice mail, and is contacting a technician for me. Fantastic.

Last edited:
So I've been calling Leica USA Customer Service for two days, pressing the Sports Optics selections as the rest seem to be for cameras. Just recordings so far. Yeesh. So now I've pressed the parts and technical information selection and the computer has told me my call is now first in line over and over and over and that the next available representative will take my call. After ages of this, it kicks over to voicemail and I talk to no one. So then I call them back, dial zero for the receptionist, a recording of the receptionist comes on, and it still gets kicked over to voice mail. Are you kidding me? What is there one person there?

So, I repent! A guy from Leica calls me back within ten minutes of hanging up, apologizes for what happened with their voice mail, and is contacting a technician for me. Fantastic.

That is what a Lecia owner dreads hearing about. Hopefully it all ends well. This is one of the reasons why I baby my UV. It is a shame when Leica can't stand behind their awesome bins. If I weren't so enamored of the Leica build quality, compactness and looks (at them and through them) Swarovski would be the best choice. May be Leica should outsource their support to SONA.

Leica cares. Got the word back today from them that they need to be exchanged.

I guess I spoke too soon :eek!: Still we need more stories like this to change the minds of customers who like Leica, but buy Swaro for their amazing customer support.

Doug & CameralandNY were also righteous. They've already pulled a second pair and they are waiting for Fed Ex

Last edited:
Doug & CameralandNY was also righteous. They've already pulled a second pair and they are waiting for Fed Ex

So, are you returning your current bin to cameraland and they are sending you a replacement? or are you working with Leica to return it to them for repair or replacement?

So, are you returning your current bin to cameraland and they are sending you a replacement? or are you working with Leica to return it to them for repair or replacement?

Cameraland has sent me a second bin and Fed Ex has already sent me notification of pending shipment. I came within a breath of buying one new, but this another one from the shot-show. Documented in detail in it's own thread.

You know there are seven reviews of the Ultravid 10X42's on this site (couldn't find the 8X42's) and two of them complain of nagging free play in the focusing mechanism.

Last edited:
I've got two pairs of 8x32 HDs. One is the 'old' model in green; the other is the HD-Plus in standard black.

I got the green ones from a dealer in Germany, and they are aweseome, except for the focuser, where there is a small amount of play when changing direction. If you grip the focuser gently between thumb and forefinger the play is clearly evident. It's a minor irritation, but at this level of quality, shouldn't there be consistency between samples?

I took the bins into South West Optics, in Truro, when I was down in Cornwall. The owner, Steve Rogers (top bloke) had a look and said the play was excessive, and he wouldn't have accepted them as stock. I tried out a couple of pairs of black 8x32 HDs ("old" model again) in the shop, and one had some play while the other was perfect. I later bought my HD-Plus's by mail order from Steve, and I specifically asked him to check that the focuser was OK. He tried out two pairs in the shop and said they were perfect. The ones I received have absolutely zero play.

I'm going to return my green HDs to Leica for service - will report again when I get them back.

Longing for the day when Leica can produce a focuser like the one on my Zeiss FL 8x32!

Cheers
John

I wonder what the point of this grease-less system is? I have had my Zeiss out in -35 C [-45 C with the windchill] and they were flawless so it can be done in the traditional way, and the focus is always super smooth - hot, cold and everything in between.

Good question James. I had my old Dialyt 10x40s when I was in -30 deg C in Helsinki, Finland and Skelleftea, nothern Sweden and everything functioned fine, apart from my fingers!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back