• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uncertain Sparrow in the lower Hudson Valley, NY (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
I think the migration season has begun in this area, so it's possible that this sparrow is just visiting. But I think it might be a juvenile song sparrow. Can anyone confirm this, or if I'm wrong, tell me what kind of sparrow it is? Thank you.

Attachments

• Sparrows.jpg
    Sparrows.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 30
Definitely song sparrow. It's pretty hard to distinguish juveniles from adults, but I see no juvenile gape, and it's awfully early in the year. I haven't even noticed any sparrows gathering nest material yet, not surprising as there is very little grassy material available.

The juvenile plumage in most American sparrows, including Song Sparrow, is only held for a short time after fledging. All Song Sparrows, including this one, are in adult plumage at this time of year. You may see some juveniles later in the spring or summer, if they breed in your area. They are readily distinguished from adult Song Sparrows by having finer streaking below, but are very difficult to distinguish from juvenile Swamp or Lincoln's Sparrows.

This one seemed much lighter than all the other song sparrows that I've seen in this area. That's why I thought it was a juvenile. Thank you, everyone, for setting me straight.

Hello Gsimonel,

I live a little south of you. I have been seeing song sparrows for ten days in New York's Central Park, which is a more extended period than I usually enjoy. As others wrote, only adults are seen in the spring.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back