• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New here lower hudson valley NY (1 Viewer)

AnitaD518

United States
Good morning from Lower Hudson Valley New York i live on an acre in a semi rural area, originally from NYC on a small lake. We enjoy the birds and animals around us and i try to garden for the birds and butterflies and bees of course! We have had successful nestings in our boxes of bluebirds, swallows, and wrens for many years. I found my way here to figure if The sound i’m hearing is a bird or maybe a frog. I haven’t found it on any website so far. It’s hard to describe but it almost sounds like a cartoon version of a turkey gobble but that’s not it🥹 I’ve heard it in various places but havent been able to record because of other noise Today I'm wondering if it might be a frog? Where to go for help? I don’t hear it often so trying to record is difficult. Any thoughts on a website that has lots of birdcalls or anyone have an idea?

Hi Anita and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum as they're more likely to be able to help you. Xeno-Canto has lots of bird calls, but it's narrowing it down to what's in your area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Anita and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum as they're more likely to be able to help you. Xeno-Canto has lots of bird calls, but it's narrowing it down to what's in your area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you!!

There are lots of websites with bird recordings; one that's used a lot by folks on this website is called xeno-canto.

Step one would be to check their recordings of wild turkey which is a common bird in your neighborhood. Note that the same bird may make many different sounds, so check more than one recording for each species (at least two each of "song", "call", and "alarm").

If turkey is close but not quite right, you might be able to describe the ways in which it's different, which might help us come up with some more ideas.

I'd also consider domestic chicken, ring-necked pheasant (a.k.a Common Pheasant), and ruffed grouse.

For now I don't think it's a frog; those have a sort of predictable rhythm to their repetition and are pretty easy track down to a rough location; they're not very mysterious except at night. In contrast, something like a grouse can be a lot more elusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back