• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uncomfortable Pocket CL 8x25..really? (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
hello
Yesterday, while reading a review about the Swarovski CL 8x25 pocket model, a negative comment about the focusing wheel caught my attention, and it was said that it was very uncomfortable... I really thought "how could this be true", it is supposed to be in a Swaro model. pocket with this price everything should be correctly studied for the comfort of the user.
Anyway... just a thoughtthought
Poli

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

This is quite often not an option. The selection of binoculars in my area is very limited.
I also understand... but then in this case, at least for me, it's always the occasion for a pleasant trip... getting into my car in the morning, seeing the landscape to go and test my future binoculars... I'm just like a kid in those moments, haha !! 😛

If it is unfortunately really impossible, then make sure that an exchange or a refund is possible !!

hello
Yesterday, while reading a review about the Swarovski CL 8x25 pocket model, a negative comment about the focusing wheel caught my attention, and it was said that it was very uncomfortable... I really thought "how could this be true", it is supposed to be in a Swaro model. pocket with this price everything should be correctly studied for the comfort of the user.
Anyway... just a thoughtthought
Poli

View attachment 1510828

"Believe half of what you read son,

Now, now, none of what you hear..."

Focus function on the CL 8x25 is as smooth and soft as a baby's butt.

And that's a natural fact .

Mike

I think the focus wheel on my 8x25 CL is one of the smoothest I have ever had the pleasure to use. Maybe the reviewer had a faulty unit??

Yeah, I can see where that comment would come from. Perhaps uncomfortable is a bit ambiguous, and I'm only going off pics on the web.
Regular sized binoculars have a regular sized focus wheel.
This pair of binoculars has been shrunken, but so has the focus wheel! Our hands don't get shrunk to use the binoculars, so something is going to be ergonomically wrong. In this case, for that reviewer, it was the focus wheel where he noticed the issue.?
It might be smooth as butter, but uncomfortable to access.

I think the focus wheel on my 8x25 CL is one of the smoothest I have ever had the pleasure to use. Maybe the reviewer had a faulty unit??
But that would be 'rough'.... not 'uncomfortable'.... mine had no barbed wire, razor blades, or nails in it, and was as comfortable to use as any round twirly barrel !!!

But that would be 'rough'.... not 'uncomfortable'.... mine had no barbed wire, razor blades, or nails in it, and was as comfortable to use as any round twirly barrel !!!
when you rest your hands on a regular sized pair of binoculars, relaxed, the tip of your finger is on the focus barrel, so it is comfortable to use.
If the binoculars are very small, somewhere further up your finger might well be resting on the focus barrel, That part of your finger isn't designed to be turning a wheel, it rides up and off the wheel if you use it. And then it is uncomfortable to be constantly bending your finger to use with your fingertip.
The Zeiss victory pocket has combated this, at least for right handed people, by moving the wheel to one side.

I tried one last weekend, the focuser seemed absolutely fine. It's small but I didn't notice it as it just worked. I'd try them though as like all pockets the eye cups may be too small to fit properly.
Will

The rubber covering on my Swarovski CL 8 x 25 has become a sticky mess , uncomfortable in use , @%$# yes , but the mechanism and optics are good ☹️.

I have the 10x25 CL and my wife has the 8x25 CL and neither of us have any difficulty using them. I have large hands and my wife has small hands and both of us find the binoculars to be fine for extended use. I tried some comparable Leica and Zeiss compact binos and disliked the way the felt in my hands and how the folded to have in a carry case or pocket.

Important with the newer coverings to avoid any chemicals on ones hands, and that includes sunscreen, DEET, hand lotion, etc. that can have an unwanted effect on items. With my photo gear a concern I never use DEET that is known to damage plastics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back