• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CL 8x25 vs 8x30 (1 Viewer)

gastonbe

Belgium
I recently bought a Swarovski CL-P 8x25. It's my first binoculars and I really love it. It's compact, sharp and bright. This is my first binoculars! I just started birding.

However, I keep on wondering about the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30. How is the low light performance that much better on those?

I only want 1 binoculars so they have to be as versatile as possible. I bird in the weekends: from dawn to noon usually. I'm not sure if there would be a big difference in brightness? However, I also want to be able to bring them on my long bicycle camping trips. Finding the right compromise to make is hard!

I guess for first bins the 8x25 should do just fine but thought I'd ask anyway to get your opinions.

Last edited:
I have both, and the 8x30 is, as to be expected is better in low light, and in my opinion is the better all round binocular. The 8x25 has the advantage of being small but in general use where size is not an issue the 8x30 wins. Of course another option is the 7x21 Curio - very small, and in my opinion better than the 8x25. Of course it again loses out a bit to the 8x30 in poor light, but perhaps not so much as you would first think.

Last edited:
FYI, I decided to keep the 8x25 since I'm so impressed by it. A real mini-alpha.
I also never hesitate to bring it along, which was the whole point of buying it. I'm mostly pretty packed when I go out hiking/birding.

I might someday get a good 8x32 or 8x42 some day to complement it for the very dreary days.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back