• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Understanding quick release systems and my Viper HD 20-60x85 angled (1 Viewer)

bmac922

United States
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and scope-birding in general, so I apologize in advance if this is a very basic question!

I've been having trouble with my tripod head lately (https://www.birdforum.net/threads/problems-with-mhxpro-2w-tripod-head.406744/) and am considering buying a new one entirely. If I do decide to buy a new tripod head, it seems like it would be nice to get one that directly accepts the foot of my scope, rather than needing to mess around with quick-release plates. Which is another area that I am confused! In the product manual, Vortex says that this scope has an Arca-Swiss Foot (photo attached.)
scope arca swiss.JPG

But then in a promotional YouTube video, they say that the foot is RC2 compatible.
scope rc2.JPG

So is it Arca-Swiss? RC2? Or is it both? I don't quite understand the world of quick release systems yet. I feel like I need to understand this to know which tripod heads I could buy.

Sorry if that is not good bird forum etiquette! I posted to different relevant subforums in order to try to get more visibility. I will avoid double posts moving forward.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back