• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unexpected mimics (1 Viewer)

Sylvia

Hi, birders.

Have you ever heard a bird call and then found that it came from the wrong bird? You know, a bird other than a Mockingbird, Catbird, Brown Thrasher or other known mimic species...

I'm on two birding email listserves, and this issue has come up several times. One example was of a Eur. starling fooling an experienced birder into thinking he was hearing an EARLY spring migrant -- in the dead of winter.

And then there are the Blue Jays. Here in central, upstate New York, some of them seem to have developed the ability to mimic hawks in order to get more food. This spring, two birders on my listserve mentioned they had heard the call of a Red-shouldered Hawk before they were due to arrive, only to find a Blue Jay doing the calling. This was near bird feeders. One day two summers ago, i went looking and looking in the trees of my backyard , positive (and very excited) that i had a hawk of some kind perched nearby. Nope. You guessed it; it was a Blue Jay, doing short, high-pitched "kyup"s.

And in January of last year, i was visiting the home of a very experienced and active birder who, because of location, irruption, and LOTS of feeders, was attracting large numbers of many far-northern species -- like Evening Grosbeak, Pine Siskin, and Crossbill. Several people were there that day, even a birding club, i think. It was a relaxed atmosphere, and most people were standing around conversing in between viewing the birds eating at the feeders. Suddenly, we heard a hawk call, very nearby. All the small birds fled the feeders and we went running to look for the hawk. What did we see? A single Blue Jay, which flew in to eat at the feeder of its choice! No hawk was there at all. The home-owner birder (who was at the head of the group running to find the "hawk") said the same thing had happened earlier in the week.

Anyone have a similar story?

The most amazing mimic I've ever heard was a Mockingbird, near Lufkin in Texas.

Nothing startling about that, I hear you say?

But when, where, and how, did it learn to sing a NOTE PERFECT imitation of a European Song Thrush?!?

Michael

What about starlings doing telephones,other animals and even people!!!
I dont think Great Tits really mimic, but sometimes when i hear them without seeing, i think its a totally different bird!!

I know there's a terrific mimicking bird in Australia. I saw it on "The Life of Birds" series, but i can't remember the name. It was shown mimicking a telephone, a pager, a truck's back-up alarm, and a chainsaw!

New Question

What are the names of the mimicking birds in your area?

Here in the northeast US we have:

Northern Mockingbird -- far and away the best
Gray Catbird -- tries to compete with its cousin, mockingbird
Eur. Starling -- an amazing repertoire of sounds, some of them birdsong
Brown Thrasher -- less variety of songs but talented
Blue Jay (only occasionally)

Here in Japan I noticed Jungle Crows mimicking the sound of drumming woodpeckers early this spring (of course they didn`t actually drum against a tree rather thay did it vocally)........

European Jay, Starling and Jackdaw. The E. Jay has an amazing variety of sounds and will frequently mimic another bird singing (virtually note perfect) and also includes (like the Blue Jay mentioned above) the call of a bird of prey or other predatory bird like some of the larger gulls or a heron. The Tawny Owl is a frequent subject, especially (and surprisingly) when the Jay is mobbing it in broad daylight. This is the probable reason people think that they hear a Tawny Owl in daytime.

Another Corvid, the Jackdaw is known to mimic, especially if in captivity though possibly not much more so than any other typical "Black Crow".

Starlings of course are in a league of their own mimicing everything. A nest built near a speaker playing music all day where I work has chicks in it. I cant wait to hear them belting out Andy Williams "To Good To Be True" next year!

Last edited:
Wonder if they could learn some old Metallica or Iron Maiden..
Now theres a thought.
(personal memo.Find Starling nest)lol,;)

Sylvia said:
...And then there are the Blue Jays. Here in central, upstate New York, some of them seem to have developed the ability to mimic hawks in order to get more food. This spring, two birders on my listserve mentioned they had heard the call of a Red-shouldered Hawk before they were due to arrive, only to find a Blue Jay doing the calling. ...

Suddenly, we heard a hawk call, very nearby. All the small birds fled the feeders and we went running to look for the hawk. What did we see? A single Blue Jay, which flew in to eat at the feeder of its choice! No hawk was there at all. The home-owner birder (who was at the head of the group running to find the "hawk") said the same thing had happened earlier in the week.

Anyone have a similar story?

I observed a Steller's Jay doing the same near a residence in a rural area of northern Nevada. More details here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=132840#post132840

Sylvia said:
What are the names of the mimicking birds in your area?
Following mimickers I found with quickdip into my notes:
Acrocephalus dumetorum
A. palustris
A. schoenobaenus - Actitis hypoleucos, Hippolais icterina, Tringa erythropus
Alauda arvensis - Anthus pratensis, Turdus iliacus
Emberiza schoeniclus - E. aureola & citrinella
Garrulus glandarius - Buteo buteo
Hippolais icterina
Lanius collurio - Luscinia luscinia
L. excubitor
Luscinia svecica - Acrocephalus schoenobaenus
Oenanthe oenanthe - Carpodacus erythrinus
Sturnus vulgaris - Carpodacus erythrinus, Numenius arquata, Tringa nebularia & totanus

I have heard Sedge Warbler pull off Yellow Wagtail frequently. Another would throw in Bluethroat call notes and still another had Bee-eater perfctly. That one in particular became...well frankly.....annoying.

Skylarks always impress me - especially ones that live near estuaries, which are dab hands at wader calls. I seem to recall the Calandra Larks I heard in Turkey being even better, particularly at Green Sandpiper.

Great Tits can, not surprisingly, turn their hand to more-or-less every other tit call with Marsh Tit a speciality.

Starlings are well known of course, and are particularly good at Buzzard calls. Often the first sign of spring is Starlings doing Swallow calls - usually a few days before I actually manage to see a Swallow myself.

Marsh Warblers are the kings of mimicry though. It's a shame they're so rare in Britain as I don't think I'd ever tire of listening to one. I remember hearing one in Holland which would almost instantaneously incorporate all the other birds that were calling within earshot into its song.

Really weird this, but when i clicked to look at this thread, i was actually singing, under my breath, as you do.... ;) that Andy Williams song steve_nova mentioned above in his comment.*Hums twilight zone tune*
Ok, back to the thread...... I was convinced i was listening to a Robin singing, once, then noticed it was from a Starling sitting on a gutter. Ive also heard Starlings do certain wader calls and even a telephone. I too like to tune in to the call of Sedge Warblers. They often have the calls of other birds in their repertoir.

Oh yeah, now this is strange too....the other day, whilst out birding near a small wood, i heard, in a very low tone, a Magpie doing a kind of 'lazer gun' type sound.(yes, i saw the Magpie, and watched its lips moving...lol ) Never heard it before. Then, after that flew off, a Great Tit turned up, and believe it or not, it too was doing a very similar call!!!!!....... :eek!: I mean, what was that all about?? Very interesting though. And yes, i was sober... B :)

Thats the beauty of our feathered friends.....always something new to enjoy!

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back