• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unfamiliar birdsong, Midlothian Scotland (1 Viewer)

2spot Ladybird

I'm wondering if anyone could identify a bird for me from a description of the song? I recognise most of the songs of the birds that live in and around my garden but this is one I've never heard before.

I was putting out food for the birds at 7am and could hear a Robin and something else. The song sounded like a trilling 'tree, tree , tree , treeooo' the first part (tree, tree, tree) being rapid and the second part a bit more drawn out. It was still dark out there so couldn't see anything. I tried listening to several different bird songs on the RSPB website but nothing was even close.

I'm in a large rural town situated at the foot of the Pentland Hills, lots of farmland around and also lots of woodland and a river about 500 yards away. There is a mature Ash tree in the garden opposite mine and several of the gardens around me have fairly mature Rowan trees.

Anyone help?

I suppose that could just about describe one of the calls of a Nuthatch. It could sound odd if you weren't used to hearing it. I'm struggling to find a link for the call I'm talking about though.

Paul

poecile, don't think it was a Chaffinch.

Andrew, Blue Tits around here tend to sound something like 'chee, chee, chee, choochoochoo' (a bit like the mocking bird on hector's house).|:$| Showing my age here. Unless someone's came up with a new song|:p|

hepmpfam, song was higher pitched and not run together but there is similarities.

Yellowhammer? Meadow Pipit? Woodpigeon? You could fit a lot of calls to that description.

Not a lot to go on though, really. These things are always really difficult.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back