• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unfortunate news: WildWings apparently will be no more... (2 Viewers)

The rules must be different in the States to what they are in the UK. International birding trips are impossible from the UK without breaking the law.
Rules might be tighter now, since Biden's policies actually involve treating COVID-19 as something that exists. But yeah, I think folks could travel, although whether the other country would let them in would be another concern

Only for reasons such as family or business I'd think. There are still some big gaps in data which are needed, 1. How long does the vaccine actually remain effective, 2) How much does it reduce transmission as you can still carry Covid. Until these are known I can't see things changing much.
This is primarily an issue for UK based persons - the main issue is the UK preventing departures and imposing severe reentry restrictions, rather than destination countries banning entry - there are plenty of countries open with relatively simple precautionary entry conditions and freedom to move once within the country.

So sad what has happened not only to this industry but many others and the world as a whole. Tragic and senseless TBH. I am even more thankful for living within walking distance of a wildlife refuge area. Hopefully all this madness will end soon.

This is primarily an issue for UK based persons - the main issue is the UK preventing departures and imposing severe reentry restrictions, rather than destination countries banning entry - there are plenty of countries open with relatively simple precautionary entry conditions and freedom to move once within the country.
There are also countries placing special restrictions on travel from the UK because of the predominant variant here
Cheers
James

Oh no, I definitely know people who have done full blown birding trips, and other people planning them. There are plenty of places which are more concerned about tourist revenue than the virus.
One of the issues here is that if you've been to certain countries, you'd be expected to go into quarantine for two weeks when you come back, at your own expense I believe. So while people might still think of going somewhere, this forced quarantine when they come back might be enough to put them off.

Just to sadly update that the main company Strand Travel based in Bristol ceased trading along with Wild Oceans this past week. Websites and links suspended.

Though some " one man " tour companies / guides seem to be gearing up both here in Norfolk and also I believe in Cyprus for this year. Good luck to them.

One of the issues here is that if you've been to certain countries, you'd be expected to go into quarantine for two weeks when you come back, at your own expense I believe. So while people might still think of going somewhere, this forced quarantine when they come back might be enough to put them off.
The retired, especially being first to be vaccinated, are going to have an advantage here, though the expense of quarantine in a hotel rather than home is just one more off-putter.

In fact two weeks enforced at home would just be a chance to dust off Lightroom and one's report writing skills.

John

I'm struggling to know why some businesses such as these are having to fold? Surely they don't have high ongoing overheads (such as business rates and rent) and can just mothball until able to re-open?

I'm struggling to know why some businesses such as these are having to fold? Surely they don't have high ongoing overheads (such as business rates and rent) and can just mothball until able to re-open?
I expect it depends on a number of factors - how concentrated their customer base is (fully international, some still travelling or mainly UK, mainly not), how much up-front payment to reserve anything from accommodation to access to sites they have lost throughout the crisis, how quickly they reacted to preserve what they could from the wreck, whether they were able to diversify etc.

Also how they tried to anticipate the uncertainty of restart dates, what debt they had to service etc.

John

I expect it depends on a number of factors - how concentrated their customer base is (fully international, some still travelling or mainly UK, mainly not), how much up-front payment to reserve anything from accommodation to access to sites they have lost throughout the crisis, how quickly they reacted to preserve what they could from the wreck, whether they were able to diversify etc.

Also how they tried to anticipate the uncertainty of restart dates, what debt they had to service etc.

John
Much will depend on the number of permanent staff they have to pay along with rental costs for office space. Even with furlough, companies I presume, still have to pay a NI contribution for each member of staff.

Some companies don't have offices to maintain which I know, Wildwings did and maybe, some companies don't have full time, permanent staff that cost money.

I understand the problem with Wildwings is that the parent company went into administration. It's possible the administrators will find a buyer for Wildwings and that it will be able to recommence operating, although it's going to be a very tough environment for the travel industry for at least the next year or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back