• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unindentified bird from Thailand (1 Viewer)

Hello, Merlin's Photo ID returned a White-rumped Shama - BirdForum Opus. The male doesn't always seem to have those long tail feathers, though I don't know about it in detail. Great picture, BTW.

PS Welcome to BirdForum!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-194923_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028-194923_Merlin Bird ID.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 4
Judging by photos, I think that could be a nonbreeding male since females are brownish instead of purplish black, and juveniles are spotted on the back.

EDIT: Another short-tailed bird:

Last edited:
Some of the tail feathers look broken, and the wing also looks to be in a bad condition. I wonder if this is an escaped cagebird showing cage damage? White-rumped Shamas are very common in trade in SE Asia.
Indeed John, I would say very likely an escaped cagebird e.g some of rectrices are broken. WRS is one of the most popular cagebirds in Thailand, not only because its an attractive species, but largely because of its such an excellent songster.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back