• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Needed Sunbird, Thailand (1 Viewer)

ID needed for this bird. I believe it is a Brown-throated Sunbird, but my Birds Of Thailand book says that it doesn't venture as far north as Udonthani, where I saw it in Nong Prajak park today. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• brown-throated sunbird_-1.jpg
    brown-throated sunbird_-1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
ID needed for this bird. I believe it is a Brown-throated Sunbird, but my Birds Of Thailand book says that it doesn't venture as far north as Udonthani, where I saw it in Nong Prajak park today. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Your ID is correct Tony, male Brown-throated Sunbird which does occur to Udonthani and north into Laos. Its a bit more localised in the NE compared to the Central Plains.

Grahame

Hi Tony... I've amended your title to make it, perhaps, a little more interesting..... maybe.... you never know LOL

Your ID is correct Tony, male Brown-throated Sunbird which does occur to Udonthani and north into Laos. Its a bit more localised in the NE compared to the Central Plains.

Grahame
Thanks Grahame, I think my trouble is taking the book too seriously. Birds Of Thailand by Craig Robson was first published in 2002 and has been republished many times, but I fear it hasn't been updated in some areas that need updating, like distribution maps. There is also the "Olive-backed Sunbird" debate, I go with the people behind the Ebird app and think that "Ornate Sunbird" is more fitting! Don't get me started on the Peaceful Dove that appears in the book too...

Thanks Grahame, I think my trouble is taking the book too seriously. Birds Of Thailand by Craig Robson was first published in 2002 and has been republished many times, but I fear it hasn't been updated in some areas that need updating, like distribution maps. There is also the "Olive-backed Sunbird" debate, I go with the people behind the Ebird app and think that "Ornate Sunbird" is more fitting! Don't get me started on the Peaceful Dove that appears in the book too...

There has been a lot of changes in taxonomy recently (maybe too many), this bird was included as a subspecies of the Olive-backed Sunbird, Cinnyris jugularis (ornatus), only a few years ago (maybe still included by some authorities), the genus was Nectarinia earlier, etc... you get the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back