• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unique birding event as rare Mediterranean wader breeds for the first time in Sussex (1 Viewer)

Seems irresponsible to me that the RSPB should advertise the fact that they are breeding. Why not leave it until they had successfully bred or failed for that matter then break the news?

Seems irresponsible to me that the RSPB should advertise the fact that they are breeding. Why not leave it until they had successfully bred or failed for that matter then break the news?

Presumably they are confident of their 24 hour guard. And they want to give pekoe the chance to see it.
Chris

There is a fine line between releasing news of birds such as BwS breeding, and allowing the public the chance to see them, and the threat of egg collectors raiding the nest ( the scum probably knew about the attempt as soon as the RSPB did anyway ). A steady trickle of people coming to see the birds during the daytime releases the wardens / vols to do the ( from personal experience ), what can be nerve wracking, night shift.

Presumably they are confident of their 24 hour guard. And they want to give pekoe the chance to see it.
Chris

Ppl who visit the reserve are gonna be told the birds are there. Why mention that they are breeding as well. What do they gain by releasing that info?
What comes next, an arrow to mark the nest site?

Yes I Hope this Pair of birds well in their breeding Attempt, I Always find it so sad that there are Always those That
Are quite Happy To Destroy For Profit Or Gain The Kind i Would,nt Give A helping hand to If they were sinking in
Quick sand.

Ppl who visit the reserve are gonna be told the birds are there. Why mention that they are breeding as well. What do they gain by releasing that info?

At the end of the day the RSPB needs to generate money to further its aims. On occasions it needs a "hook" to get people interested and take out memberships, make donations etc; "leggy lovelies from the sun-kissed Med" is a once in a decade opportunity. As the site would have been wardened anyhow due to the presence of breeding stilts I dont have an issue with them releasing news to the wider public.

At the end of the day the RSPB needs to generate money to further its aims. On occasions it needs a "hook" to get people interested and take out memberships, make donations etc; "leggy lovelies from the sun-kissed Med" is a once in a decade opportunity. As the site would have been wardened anyhow due to the presence of breeding stilts I dont have an issue with them releasing news to the wider public.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head there.
It's all about the ££££'s

Several years ago the RSPB set up a watch point in Lincolnshire on 2 breeding Montys. Lots of people were able to visit and see birds that they would normally not get to see. The Montys successfully fledged 4 young so providing it's handled correctly I don't see the problem!

Shane

When the BwS bred in Norfolk, the news was put out, and a volunteer Wardening scheme instigated. It turned out successfully for all involved, and lots of casual birders got a chance to see them. The same with the Hen Harriers in Derbys., in 1997. Although it may be viewed, cynically IMO, as an opportunity to raise funds for conservation, it allows conservation organisations to raise the consciousness of the general public towards wildlife. Anything that does that has to be applauded.

I don't know the reserve but seeing that BWS nest in the open it would be plainly obvious that they are breeding to visitors anyway.

In cases like these it can be more risky trying to keep secrets.

We are spolied with them down here but they never fail to entertain - I hope these Essex ones have a nice summer and return - maybe one day there will be a colony in the UK.

I don't know the reserve but seeing that BWS nest in the open it would be plainly obvious that they are breeding to visitors anyway.

In cases like these it can be more risky trying to keep secrets.

We are spolied with them down here but they never fail to entertain - I hope these Essex ones have a nice summer and return - maybe one day there will be a colony in the UK.

Or even Sussex! A pair were also attempting to nest this year at Cliffe Marshes, again with a 24 hour guard from the RSPB. Such events are vital in galvinising public opinion against airport expansion in the Thames Estuary by proving what a valuable habitat would be lost.

Or even Sussex!

the sky's ablaze with pink legs - can't I be innocent ;)

A pair were also attempting to nest this year at Cliffe Marshes, again with a 24 hour guard from the RSPB. Such events are vital in galvinising public opinion against airport expansion in the Thames Estuary by proving what a valuable habitat would be lost.

Yes - these birds are excellent publicity - always provoke fascination from the general public and so easy to see well.

Here in the Algarve a few hundred local schoolchildren built nesting islands for them - they were fierce protectors and practically adopted them as family members. This project brought the area into the limelight locally and the area thay breed in is now treasured by many more local public.

So when the egger appears, what do the the 24 hour Home Guard do exactly? The cold steel, they don't like it up 'em? Or perhaps they have an AK47?

Call me an old stick in the mud, but I am concerned by the publicity that has now surrounded both pairs of Stilts. But of course, I hope they're successful.

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me what the 'immediate action' drill is, if egg collectors are spotted?

I don't know what the drill will be with the BwS at Medmerry but, from experience, just appearing in front of an ( alleged ) egger is enough to send them scuttling off ( rolling a... over t.. down a steep clough side in the case of the Derbyshire Hen Harrier nest :t: ). As the greatest threat will be at night then, I presume, the wardens will be armed with a torch, and 1•5 million candlewatt in the face is something you really don't want to experience. Richards cynicism, while probably well meaning, does show a lack of knowledge about the scum that steal eggs. They probably know the exact site of each and every rare breeding species in Britain, so keeping an extremely visible and noisy species such as BwS under wraps would almost guarantee the loss of the eggs. The more publicity, the more eyes watching the area, the safer they will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back