• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unique Habichts 8x30s (1 Viewer)

GK Elliott

Just wanted to show this cool version of Habicht 8x30W binoculars. Per Swarovski they were manufactured in 1987. I bought them in about 1990. I've never seen another pair with the brown leather.
I've always enjoyed them, even with the challenge of their poor eye relief. But with cataract surgery correction, I don't have to wear glasses while birding so these Habichts are even better.

2023-10-06_11-39-33.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230929_224648817.jpg
    IMG_20230929_224648817.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 30
Some more detail . . .

During the 1980's, Swarovski offered the standard CF 8x30W Habicht with the option of a real leather covering (vs leatherette),
along with a matching leather carry case/ bag.

There where two versions:
• the brown leather Modell, and;
• the red leather Rubin (i.e. Ruby).

The very earliest are marked Habicht on the right prism plate (as per the standard production),
but later ones are marked Modell or Rubin as appropriate.
And on at least some of the cases, the clasp is branded 'amiet' (of Switzerland).
There are units both from both before and after 1984 (when the current airtight version of the Habicht was introduced,
with valve cap screws on the bridge arms).
e.g. see GK's images in relation to all three points.

Steve/ moororless has posted a price list from 1990, that shows each model including the carry case, for a list price of US $600
vs the regular CF 8x30W without a case for $390 (and the CF 8x30W in rubber armour for $520):

Mack Optical.jpg

From post #23 at: Swarovski Habicht Binoculars 8x30w

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back